2015 Oriole Draft Tracker

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. You like Player A more than Player B

2. Team drafts Player B and a bunch of overslot targets

3. You are okay with it because you assume the team had to draft Player B so that they could get an under-slot deal to free up money to sign the over-slot guys.

4. The over-slot guys all sign and Player B signs for slot or above

Your thought: If we didn't need to draft Player B in order to sign the over-slot guys I would have much much rather drafted Player A.

Stewart was never presumed to be a money-saver, though. He was going to sign for slot, and if the O's have any money left over, he might get that too. That's hardly worth getting upset over, in my book. But then, I like Stewart more than just about everyone else here.

Stewart was never presumed to be a money-saver, though. He was going to sign for slot, and if the O's have any money left over, he might get that too. That's hardly worth getting upset over, in my book. But then, I like Stewart more than just about everyone else here.

You're question was "How could anyone be upset so long as the other players sign?"

The answer is "That person doesn't like Stewart as the pick but would be okay if it was necessary in order to sign the others."

Stotle, what do you think of Odenwaelder? He sounds interesting for a 16th rounder.

I honestly don't know much about him outside of performing well in the futures league last summer (so-so summer league) and then again this spring. Agreed, power/speed profile sounds very interesting for a 16th rounder.

You're question was "How could anyone be upset so long as the other players sign?"

The answer is "That person doesn't like Stewart as the pick but would be okay if it was necessary in order to sign the others."

Good point.

It is more about him coming to Camden Yards. Taking BP and going to Frederick so that he can play AA and AAA next year and start for the Orioles in 2017. Instead Boras will be complaining when we delay Stewart's call up in 2018. Becauses that's what he do.

You're not the only one, I really like Stewart as well. Watched a bunch of his college games the past two years on TV, and he has a unique skill (tremendous plate discipline) that's in incredibly short supply in our system and on the big club. He also plays with a lot of passion and effort; I could see Buck really liking him. And if he ends up getting 200k over slot, who cares....get him in the system.

You're not the only one, I really like Stewart as well. Watched a bunch of his college games the past two years on TV, and he has a unique skill (tremendous plate discipline) that's in incredibly short supply in our system and on the big club. He also plays with a lot of passion and effort; I could see Buck really liking him. And if he ends up getting 200k over slot, who cares....get him in the system.

I like the pick, I just don't think he deserves anything over slot.

I like the pick, I just don't think he deserves anything over slot.

That's a really silly and arbitrary line to draw, especially if the Orioles have the money. D.J. Stewart's financial future is a lot less secure than Peter Angelos'. I can hardly begrudge Boras trying to get some extra money for his client. In fact, I think the issue, should Stewart be demanding a slightly-over-slot deal, would be the Orioles' unwillingness to part with the baseball equivalent of pocket change as a gesture of goodwill to a 21-year-old kid.

That's a really silly and arbitrary line to draw, especially if the Orioles have the money. D.J. Stewart's financial future is a lot less secure than Peter Angelos'. I can hardly begrudge Boras trying to get some extra money for his client. In fact, I think the issue, should Stewart be demanding a slightly-over-slot deal, would be the Orioles' unwillingness to part with the baseball equivalent of pocket change as a gesture of goodwill to a 21-year-old kid.

No it isn't. They gave Gausman all of their savings, they went overslot on Gonzalez last draft and now you want to do the same for Stewart.

You don't think this might become an issue going forward?

I will politely disagree with this. Everything affects everything.

No it isn't. They gave Gausman all of their savings, they went overslot on Gonzalez last draft and now you want to do the same for Stewart.

You don't think this might become an issue going forward?

Giving the leftover pool money to the top pick, you mean? That is the opposite of an issue. That is a complete non-issue. They could give their leftover money to their top pick every single year for eternity and as long as it didn't affect the rest of the guys in rounds 1-10 from signing, or the Orioles losing anything but money, I would never have a single problem with it. In fact, I'd applaud it.

Giving the leftover pool money to the top pick, you mean? That is the opposite of an issue. That is a complete non-issue. They could give their leftover money to their top pick every single year for eternity and as long as it didn't affect the rest of the guys in rounds 1-10 from signing, or the Orioles losing anything but money, I would never have a single problem with it. In fact, I'd applaud it.

You would applaud waste?

OK then I am done here.

Under this system, the slot amount is fair. The Orioles should take a hard line if Boras is trying to get more. Not taking slot would be pretty stupid.

Not to mention it continues the narrative that if you are a top pick you can wait out Baltimore and they will give you all of the money left over from their other picks.

That might not even happen here, so just a hypothetical. We'll see what happens with Stewart.

Archived