Buck: Schoop Not Ready to Play Second

weams

He has hit well his entire career in Fenway for what ever reason going home, or just the park but all most anywhere else he has been very bad. We don't play in Boston much the rest o the year so if he is going to contribute he is going to have to hit somewhere else too.

CHke10mUsAADoIP.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has hit well his entire career in Fenway for what ever reason going home, or just the park but all most anywhere else he has been very bad. We don't play in Boston much the rest o the year so if he is going to contribute he is going to have to hit somewhere else too.

Last season he hit .199 outside of Fenway Park this season he is hitting .209 so I guess he is hitting better but not much is the point.

Last season he hit .199 outside of Fenway Park this season he is hitting .209 so I guess he is hitting better but not much is the point.

Can't take away best games and not worst. Sorry. And even that is not fair. Because. Like. Slugging.

Ryan Flaherty 2015 OPS by Opponent

White Sox - 1.250

Red Sox - 1.222

Astros - .717

Blue Jays - .685

Indians - .586

Rays - .554

Yankees - .440

Must have a Sox fetish.

Can't take away best games and not worst. Sorry. And even that is not fair. Because. Like. Slugging.

So does that mean you can't take away vs home splits either because some guys have get games at home and terrible on the road or vice versa. It is also not cherry picking games it is using data showingover his career he has been a .205 career hitter anywhere outside of Boston. I lik Flaherty and is a great utility guy but he has not imroved mush at all over his career and the stats I showed were omparing his numbers of last season with this season in games played outside of Fenway park.

Is "slow starter" really a thing?

I am guessing it isn't.

In hindsight it is. As a predictive thing, probably not. Especially today when it doesn't really cut it to hold out half of spring training then show up 50 pounds overweight expecting to work it off. Ernie Lombardi may have been a slow starter. But then again, he was slow at everything.

(Don't you love it when your made up crap turns out right? Ernie Lombardi's lowest monthly OPS across his career was in April.)

He is 16-78 for a .209 average if you take out those 3 games in Boston and one in Toronto the next night. To go alongwith tthat he has one double one triple and a homer. He maybe a little better then the past but not much at all.

I've never been a fan of cherry picking four games and taking them out of the equation. I might as well say that if you take out his 0 for 9 streak during May 8-27, he'd be hitting .277/.358/.446 right now.

So does that mean you can't take away vs home splits either because some guys have get games at home and terrible on the road or vice versa. It is also not cherry picking games it is using data showingover his career he has been a .205 career hitter anywhere outside of Boston. I lik Flaherty and is a great utility guy but he has not imroved mush at all over his career and the stats I showed were omparing his numbers of last season with this season in games played outside of Fenway park.

Hasn't had enough of a career to make those stats useful.

In hindsight it is. As a predictive thing, probably not. Especially today when it doesn't really cut it to hold out half of spring training then show up 50 pounds overweight expecting to work it off. Ernie Lombardi may have been a slow starter. But then again, he was slow at everything.

(Don't you love it when your made up crap turns out right? Ernie Lombardi's lowest monthly OPS across his career was in April.)

Boog and Mike Cuellar were slow starters. Boog, because he did not work out during the offseason. Mike, because he needed it hot.

Boog and Mike Cuellar were slow starters. Boog, because he did not work out during the offseason. Mike, because he needed it hot.

You knew I was going to look that up, right? And you're right. Not that I didn't trust you, but I had to see for myself. Both of those cases were pretty extreme.

The season started later back then, because all these guys had half as much playing time in April as any other month. That makes for more variability. Also, April weather suppresses runs so at least it looks like a lot of hitters don't do well at the start of the year (and pitchers the other way around).

Schoop is really good at saying the right thing.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/06/jonathan-schoop-updates-his-knee-injury-talks-of-returning-to-camden-yards.html

I have to say thank you to Dave (Walker, minor league medical coordinator) who worked with me in Sarasota and to Brady (Anderson), who worked me out down there. He told me (he) wants to make sure everything is good and I come back stronger than before. He knows I wanted to get here earlier, but he said they want me to be stronger, not just for now, but for this year and the rest of my career.
That is not up to me," he said. "That is for Buck (Showalter) and Dan (Duquette) to decide. I'll go there, work hard, do my best and when they think I'm ready, I'll come here.

You knew I was going to look that up, right? And you're right. Not that I didn't trust you, but I had to see for myself. Both of those cases were pretty extreme.

The season started later back then, because all these guys had half as much playing time in April as any other month. That makes for more variability. Also, April weather suppresses runs so at least it looks like a lot of hitters don't do well at the start of the year (and pitchers the other way around).

Plenty of reason not to trust me. Plenty.

Like you said years ago there were legitimate reasons why a player would not be ready to play at the start of the season.

These days a "slow stater" should be no more likely then somebody that inexplicably can't hit in June.

Archived