Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

One guy I was wrong about was Oscar Salazar. He did very well in Norfolk 2008-2009 but he was too old to be considered a prospect. In limited ML action those years for the Orioles and Padres he put up a 131 OPS+, and quickly petered out in 2010. I thought he was a late bloomer that deserved more of a shot, but he didn't even make the Florida Marlins in 2011.

He still plays ball in the Venezuelan Winter League.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid, I thought Curt Blefary was going to be a star. Dave Leonhard I was big on until Palmer took his spot in the rotation. Then I was enamored with Floyd Sugar Bear Rayford. It tore me up when he got traded to Cards and I was thrilled when we got him back. In 1985, he had big time year, hitting .306 and catching/third and I thought he was going to be a star...then he fell off the map, under .200. Then there was Ken Gerhart...in 1983, I saw a lot of games in Hagerstown....he was fast, smooth stroke, 31 homers....too bad he got hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was a kid, I thought Curt Blefary was going to be a star. Dave Leonhard I was big on until Palmer took his spot in the rotation. Then I was enamored with Floyd Sugar Bear Rayford. It tore me up when he got traded to Cards and I was thrilled when we got him back. In 1985, he had big time year, hitting .306 and catching/third and I thought he was going to be a star...then he fell off the map, under .200. Then there was Ken Gerhart...in 1983, I saw a lot of games in Hagerstown....he was fast, smooth stroke, 31 homers....too bad he got hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll throw Storm Davis in there as well.

You don't have to catch him off guard.

It used to be a mandatory block of any interview he gave.

Not sure what he had to be so bitter about.

Sam getting fired.

I sat in the scout section because Manheim Auto Auctions had seats that were on the other side of the aisle. Sam had a whole bunch of family and folk all dressed to the nines, gabbing down to the dugout with him between innings having a regular high roller party with him. This was a few weeks before he was relieved of duty. He did not have a clue. He made it and he was living it.

Reimold. I saw him in person in Norfolk a month or so ago. I came on OH talking about how thin he looked and that his power was gone. He apparently just looks thinner in person and his power seems to still be there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I wanted the Os to sign Billy Butler as a free agent. I was furious when they didn't get him. I think his numbers would be better not playing half his games in Oakland.

On the flip side I didn't want us to go after Ike Davis.

We all make mistakes. I loved getting Travis Snider.

I really wanted Shin Soo Choo.

And the real embarrassing one... Bobby Valentine (thought if nothing else his personality would make following a perennial losing team interesting. Trembley just seemed lost and over his head).

But as soon as Buck was hired out of nowhere I did realize it was a great hire.

Archived