Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

I wanted the Os to sign Billy Butler as a free agent. I was furious when they didn't get him. I think his numbers would be better not playing half his games in Oakland.

On the flip side I didn't want us to go after Ike Davis.

If it makes you feel any better, Davis has a lower OPS+ than Butler (87 to 89) coming into the game. Both players are below replacement this year.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Armando Benitez. Whatever happened with him?

Had a fine 15 year career, pretty darn good reliever but never could pull through in high leverage. Blew game one of the 2000 World Series.

289 career saves, 140 ERA+, All Star in 2003 and 2004. He even had one solitary Hall of Fame vote (why do writers do that?) His best years were not in Baltimore. He's 42 now and I don't know what he's doing with his life.

I'll throw Storm Davis in there as well.

Just saw this now. I was such a fan of "Cy Clone" that I carried his 1983 Fleer rookie card around in my wallet for years, as a kind of good luck totem.

Maybe he would have fared better if he had carried my picture in his wallet as well.

No.

But it is a distinct possibility given his past performance history. Even in 2013 he had a month were hit hit 211 and a month were he hit 216.

It's why I hedged. Even if the improvement continues through the rest of 2015, I'd still be very nervous about offering him a big, long-term contract.

Archived