Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally read the entire thread and I can't believe nobody mentioned Anna - I mean - Kris Benson.

Can't speak for others, but I never thought he would lead the rotation. Benson was another in a long line of middling acquisitions sold to us as people who would turn the team around during the dark years.

John Maine, traded for Benson, was the better pitcher moving forward.

That's an easy one for me. I liked the move. I liked going for the 27 year old with the strong second half in 2014 and possible breakout season. Now that I've seen him for more than half a season, I wish we had never made the move. He even looks worse than his numbers.

Still don't dislike the move because 4/44 for NM was silly money. It was a small amount of money and it hasn't worked out.

Ben McDonald. Thought he was gonna better than Moose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'd have been ecstatic if any of your young pitchers, past or present, had a career like Ben McDonald. People dismiss his career because of where he was drafted and the hype, but he had a pretty respectable, albeit short career.

I'd have been ecstatic if any of your young pitchers, past or present, had a career like Ben McDonald. People dismiss his career because of where he was drafted and the hype, but he had a pretty respectable, albeit short career.

Per start or per inning Ben's career was more than respectable. He just got hurt. Which may have been inevitable given his workload prior to being drafted. As a 21-year-old at LSU he threw 152 innings, 21 starts, five relief appearances, three shutouts, eight complete games, four saves, in, what... a 60-something game schedule?

Per start or per inning Ben's career was more than respectable. He just got hurt. Which may have been inevitable given his workload prior to being drafted. As a 21-year-old at LSU he threw 152 innings, 21 starts, five relief appearances, three shutouts, eight complete games, four saves, in, what... a 60-something game schedule?

IIRC he was also notorious for the number of warmup pitches he threw between each inning, something that must have significantly added to the wear and tear on his pitching arm.

LJ had a combatative manner but he was a pretty smart poster. He was right about Bergesen too.

There are sooooo many disappointing guys I thought would be contributors... I agree with most already posted but hadn't seen these guys yet:

David Hernandez

Gary Matthews

Cory Patterson

Felix Pie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speaking of Hernandez, I watched him pitch last night against the Nationals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Has to be from game footage.  Good like finding a shot of Wilt.
    • There's this idea that prospects are rushed nowadays, not like back when everything was good and right with the world and everybody spent a year or two at each level finely honing their craft before getting called up. That's a total fiction. It's always been the case that players were promoted when they were better than the folks ahead of them. And in the past that was often much more quickly than today. A few years before Cal was drafted David Clyde made 18 starts for the Rangers the year he graduated from high school at the age of 18. Al Kaline never played a minute in the minors, neither did Sandy Koufax, or Bob Horner. Griffey Jr and ARod had fewer minor league PAs than Holliday. Robin Yount was starting at short almost the whole year for the Brewers at 18, despite OPSing .622. Ben McDonald had nine minor league innings under his belt when the O's called him up. Babe Ruth played 46 minor league games. Mantle was in the majors at 19, after just 40 games in AAA. Holliday has a minor league OPS of .932, mostly as a teenager facing much older competition. I don't really care what Cal says, the idea he was rushed is hindsight heavily flavored by a poor week-and-a-half worth of ABs. He'll be back shortly and he'll be fine.
    • Thanks for saving me the work.  Looks like Sharkey is on the IL; he hasn’t pitched since May 3.   Bragg has really come on; he allowed 5 ER in his first outing of the year and only 1 ER since.
    • A good part of this board - me included - wanted/thought J H would be on the team for the first game of the year. Then, there was a push for a call up with some thinking Elias was trying to delay to extend control. Now there is second guessing re why the poor start that led to a demotion. This will be a never-ending story. I don't view Cal any differently than before he became a MINORITY owner. Which is to say, I really don't look to Cal for prospect evaluations. Tony and some on this site - yes. Cal - no.  I also bet in retrospect however, Elias & Co. would agree with Cal's take. Heck, I agree with it. Cal just needs to learn he is now more than just an Oriole Hall of Fame Icon. Things he says can be taken a lot of different ways depending on the listener. I think this interview is a nothing burger in the sceme of things with an eye/ear bent toward future interviews to see if a trend develops. I doubt seriously one does!
    • Hope they get this one in. All of these rainy Saturdays have meant no golf for me in a while, so I hope to at least catch a ballgame.  Grayson coming off the IL for the start as we commence a 6 man rotation. 
    • Some good AL East and Orioles Hangout famous flavor to the young enough bats looking like the Eastern League's best prospects. Zac Veen, NYY Agustin Ramirez, Beavers and the Red Sox Marcelo Mayer and Kyle Teel are the Top 5 age-22 and under bats by wRC+ Beavers did HR last night as we watch how much his power can grow this year.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now