Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

simplified our life or complicated it more? We'll have 2 aging veterans starting for us which will push another youngster down... lets presume the aging Vets pitch badly, have little value at the deadline and can't be moved... AND we have 2-3 starters at Norfolk tearing it up... what'll we do? And that's not to mention we still will not have cleared a roster spot for Moore... is he going to have to go down and wait until we're able to move Gibbons, Huff or Millar?

It will be beyond horrible!!!!!!!!:002_scry:

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that it detracts much from your point, but I'd say more about 90 losses with, 105 losses without. Roberts sets the table better than anyone I've seen in an Oriole uniform in my brief lifetime. The fact that he starts many games on second base, whether it be by double or steal, means there are so many more oppurtunities to get ahead and stay ahead. I think missing him, means a MUCH worse lineup. Who else really gets on base and steals bases enough to lead off without him? He has to be worth at least 15 wins between his bat, base running, and his solid D.

That being said, if you can get the latest rumored deal that has surfaced with Ceda, do it now.

A 15 win difference due to Roberts is alot. He maxed out with Win Shares at 28 in 2005 and that was his 900 ops year.

I hope we can all agree that whether it be Ponson, DCAB, or any other good young arm that the O's have "developed" over the years - they all have been rushed to the MLB team. And in the end each never really fully developed into the talent that they had.

I'm excited that Norfolk will have a dynamic rotation and if it means that we have to suffer for a year with Trax and Marquis, than so be it. Can you imagine the competition for the 5 spots in our rotation next year?

As for Moore - I think they will find a way to keep him by sticking Patton on the 60 day DL.

I disagree that the players never reached their full potential because they were "rushed." What about pitching in the major leagues, rather than the minors, has made any of the pitchers you named above any worse? If anything they are working with better coaches and more challenging competition, which usually speeds up the learning process.

Many prospects fizzle without being brought up, how do you know these guys would have reached whatever "potential" you thought they had if they had lingered in the minors for years.

I agree that they were not ready to be Major League Pitchers as rookies, but don't see the logic in implying that the obvious result was that they were not properly "developed", because of it.

Just curious as to your reasoning and any evidence you have for this phenomenon?

1) If we have 2-3 pitchers tearing it up at Norfolk, leaving them there all year is a wasted opportunity.

Perhaps this is the wrong way of looking at things, but if we have 2-3 pitchers tearing it up at Norfolk, they'd also make excellent tradebait, IMO. If we're looking to trade some of our young starting pitching for position players, I'd rather do it while they're hot down in the minors rather than when they're stinking it up at OPACY.

For what it's worth, there appears to be a fly in the ointment regarding the supposed Cubs trade scenario. Cedeno had arm problems early in camp and now has a strained hammy. Has played very little. Piniella says that may give Cedeno trouble making the club.

1 - We both know that at some point during the season that one of our pitchers will struggle or go on the DL. If a SP is tearing up Norfolk they will get the opportunity to pitch on the MLB team. Trax will be pitching for the minimum and can be easily dumped.

2 - You are correct but he does have an option. Bring him back in a couple of weeks when we have to make our first roster move. Playing regularly for a couple of weeks at Norfolk will be better than playing 1-2 games a week in Baltimore.

If Trax is on the team on Opening Day I would think his guaranted salary would be between $2 -3M for the year.

I think getting Marquis back is only to flip him at the break if he is pitching decently. If he is pitching poorly, put him in the pen. If Trax is pitching poorly cut him.

I don't think Gibbons ever suits up for the Orioles this year. He has been terrible this spring. He either starts to put it together or he gets cut loose.

For what it's worth, there appears to be a fly in the ointment regarding the supposed Cubs trade scenario. Cedeno had arm problems early in camp and now has a strained hammy. Has played very little. Piniella says that may give Cedeno trouble making the club.

No problem we'll take Epatt over Cedeno then.

Hey, the O's take pitchers with sore arms on their way to surgery. A hammy strain is nothing to the O's. It helps MacPhail get his sixth player he will be asking for in the 2 for 6 deal.

Archived