Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

And I still say getting another aging Vet pitcher complicates things for us... (the 5-2)it takes away some of our roster flexibility and players like Moore have to go to AAA. I can't see how this is a good plan unless we have some other move lined up.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said you can't get them both ... I am saying I don't see the Cubs giving up 5 young players for BRob/Payton. I think one of Veal/Ceda/EPatt is not going to be involved and Marquis is. Maybe I am wrong, but that is just the way I see it.

They gave up 3 young players for Trax.

The reason they made that trade according to guys like Davearm, is that the Cubs didn't have any use for those guys.

Well, they have no use for EPat either. I don't see why they wouldn't make that deal.

Now, we may need to include some money with Payton, i don't deny that.

And I still say getting another aging Vet pitcher complicates things for us... it takes away some of our roster flexibility and players like Moore have to go to AAA. I can't see how this is a good plan unless we have some other move lined up.
How does getting a vet starter keep Moore in AAA?

How does getting a vet starter keep Moore in AAA?

I edited it as it was not well worded... the 5-2 deal... complicates our roster management.. even moreso if we get EPat and Cedeno back... who will replace BRob and LH.. no change to the bench... no room.. so some of our young pitchers could be stuck in AAA all season and Moore there at least half the season... how does that help us?

The reason they made that trade according to guys like Davearm, is that the Cubs didn't have any use for those guys.

Well, they have no use for EPat either. I don't see why they wouldn't make that deal.

I doubt that MacPhail would include money. Not his M. O. He receives money, doesn't give it.

But I like your point about Patterson not be needed by the Cubs. It is so true IMO.

I edited it as it was not well worded... the 5-2 deal... complicates our roster management.. even moreso if we get EPat and Cedeno back... who will replace BRob and LH.. no change to the bench... no room..

I don't see how a 5 for 2 deal changes anything.

If the deal is Ceda, Veal, Gallagher, EPat and Cedeno....Cedeno and EPat is your MI...LH goes to AAA or maybe is the UTI IFer(ewww).

Gallagher has a shot to be the 5th man in the rotation and the others go to the minors.

If the deal is Marquis instead of EPat, Marquis is in the rotation...Gallagher likely goes to AAA.

Trax will likely be in the rotation but that won't last long if he is struggling and the young kids are throwing well.

I don't see how there are any roster issues at all.

I dont think any deal will happen and if it does the Orioles will most likely make out like bandits. Yall shouldbe very thankful tohave McPhail on board. Yall have already got Adama Jones who i percieved as an untouchable prospect not to mention Tillmanwho has good upside. I honestly believe at this point if the Cubs aquire Roberts yall will have robbed us blind.

I think the most fair deal is Veal, Gallagher, Patterson, and Burke for Roberts and Payton

You do know that it is o.k. for us to disagree ... we do it a lot. I just don't see get 5 players back unless we take on Marquis. I'm not advocating it ... just don't think it will happen.

I doubt that MacPhail would include money. Not his M. O. He receives money, doesn't give it.

But I like your point about Patterson not be needed by the Cubs. It is so true IMO.

We don't know what his M.O. is.

Bottom line is AM didn't sign that mistake....He may be willing to include a few million to get rid of him.

Now, maybe he won't even need to...Who the hell knows.

I was told before that he liked the idea of getting a pitcher on a one year deal to hold a place for the young kids until the deadline and then trade that pitcher.

However, Marquis is on a 2 year deal and it is an expensive 2 year deal....I would hope he is smarter than to take that on...Marquis is awful.

You do know that it is o.k. for us to disagree ... we do it a lot. I just don't see get 5 players back unless we take on Marquis. I'm not advocating it ... just don't think it will happen.

Can you at least give me a reason other then "i don't think it will happen"?

As I said, we know the rumors of the 4 for 1...We know what the Cubs gave up for Trax...Why don't you think they would give up EPat, who has no place on their team, for Payton, a player they may need and want?

So that just prolongs the inevitable by 15 days or so. Unless one of the other infielders gets hurt or is horribly ineffective in the early going, the Cubs would still have to dispose of Cedeno eventually.

Cintron has not exactly been a worldbeater in the past at the major league level. It would give them some time. It is hard to predict how long it takes for a hammy to heal. A month, maybe two. Depends on who else gets hurt.

I don't see how a 5 for 2 deal changes anything.

If the deal is Ceda, Veal, Gallagher, EPat and Cedeno....Cedeno and EPat is your MI...LH goes to AAA or maybe is the UTI IFer(ewww).

Gallagher has a shot to be the 5th man in the rotation and the others go to the minors.

If the deal is Marquis instead of EPat, Marquis is in the rotation...Gallagher likely goes to AAA.

Trax will likely be in the rotation but that won't last long if he is struggling and the young kids are throwing well.

I don't see how there are any roster issues at all.

Perhaps we don't see it the same way... you stated exactly what I stated, but you don't see a problem. My problem is I don't like Moore stuck at AAA for half a season, and I don't like the ML club being log-jammed with Vets (pitchers) that we may not be able to move later and thus some of our young talent may not be able to grow this season. This of course is the worse case scenario... it is also the most likely.. :)

Perhaps we don't see it the same way... you stated exactly what I stated, but you don't see a problem. My problem is I don't like Moore stuck at AAA for half a season, and I don't like the ML club being log-jammed with Vets that we may not be able to move later and thus some of our young talent may not be able to grow this season. This of course is the worse case scenario... it is also the most likely.. :)

I still don't see how Moore would be in AAA because of this potential trade.

Also, i don't like the idea of vet starters...Hell, if it were me, the rotation would have 2 of Olson, Penn, Albers and potentially Gallagher in it.

But, at least in terms of Trax, he should be on a short leash and cut quickly if the young guys are performing well.

I mean, that is why they are sending Penn down, right?

Archived