Things I Hate to See

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate that we started choking this early and are probable sellers at the deadline, and I hate that we're staring straight in the face of another decade of irrelevance.

In what world are we staring in the face of 10 losing seasons

-"Not being able to afford" to retain any of or guys who ever reach free agency

-Nobody already on their team to come close to matching their production

-Relatively thin farm system

Of course extending folks like O'Day, Hardy and Jones before they reach free agency doesn't count.

Losing Wieters, Davis, and Chen (assuming they all leave) does not translate to a decade of losing. We won the AL east last year without practically any production from two of those three guys. The farm system is thin, but take a look at some of the Orioles rosters (minor and major leagues) from 5+ years ago and you will see this is not a bad team by any means

Losing Wieters, Davis, and Chen (assuming they all leave) does not translate to a decade of losing. We won the AL east last year without practically any production from two of those three guys. The farm system is thin, but take a look at some of the Orioles rosters (minor and major leagues) from 5+ years ago and you will see this is not a bad team by any means

I have to admit the health issues Bundy and Harvey have had does lead me to be pessimistic in the short term.

So because the farm system is thin today, the O's will be bad 10 seasons from now? Just how much time do you think players spend in the minor leagues?

Because they took insane discounts. I'd be shocked if Machado even gets an offer from the Orioles, much less signs an extension.

Oh...so we're only supposed to extend aging veterans like Cruz and Markakis who won't live up to their contracts? Got it. Thanks for clarifying that.

Of course extending folks like O'Day, Hardy and Jones before they reach free agency doesn't count.

Sure, we've extended some people. Probably none of this year's crop, unless it's someone like Steve Pearce on a very low budget deal. Hopefully we can keep Machado.

But I think the larger point is true--the next 3-5 seasons look bleak. The farm system is barren and the owner is no longer willing to pay market prices for top free agents outside the organization. We will have another crop of AAAA longshots manning at least two of 1B, LF, RF and DH next season.

The only silver lining is that they will have a lot of draft picks next year, which will jump-start the rebuilding process. If they draft and develop well they can be good again in a few seasons.

Sure, we've extended some people. Probably none of this year's crop, unless it's someone like Steve Pearce on a very low budget deal. Hopefully we can keep Machado.

But I think the larger point is true--the next 3-5 seasons look bleak. The farm system is barren and the owner is no longer willing to pay market prices for top free agents outside the organization. We will have another crop of AAAA longshots manning at least two of 1B, LF, RF and DH next season.

The only silver lining is that they will have a lot of draft picks next year, which will jump-start the rebuilding process. If they draft and develop well they can be good again in a few seasons.

Not arguing that. In fact I just alluded to agreeing with it.

The reloading was based on Gausman/Bundy/Harvey being in the rotation and having success.

Oh for the love of...

Do I have to wear a shirt around that says "I wouldn't have re-signed Markakis" for you to finally understand I wouldn't have? I've said it, seemingly, fifty million times.

So then WHO exactly are you talking about from your above post?

Archived