Orioles interested in Justin Upton, others

jamesenoch

So, could the Orioles put together a package to land an Upton or Bruce? Perhaps. But the O?s also face the losses of a number of potential free agents on their pitching staff, including left-hander Wei-Yin Chen, as well as catcher Matt Wieters and first baseman Chris Davis (all three players are represented by Scott Boras).

Manager Buck Showalter has spoken repeatedly about the need for some of the prospects to replace some of the players who are expected to depart. If the Orioles landed Upton, they could not even make him a qualifying offer and recoup a draft pick.

Maybe Duquette can figure out a creative solution, but the current team does not represent his strongest effort.

The Orioles already have jettisoned three players they signed as major-league free agents ? left-hander Wesley Wright, infielder Everth Cabrera and outfielder Delmon Young ? and traded a player whom they re-signed in arbitration, Alejandro De Aza.

Above all, they failed to adequately replace the two corner outfielders they lost in free agency, Nelson Cruz and Nick Markakis. Which brings them full circle to their current predicament and their ongoing search for outfield help.

Ah Kenny, we knew you when.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 of the top 4 pitching teams come from the NL Central. I would like Zobrist - but Bruce gives us a replacement next year when Davis walks. That is why I would go for it.

They're both good ideas. I just don't give the NL that much respect. Especially the NL Central. I know the Cardinals are one of baseballs most consistent winners, but they also don't have to go through the grind that is the AL East. Huge payrolls and TB might be the best ran organization in baseball, in terms of talent production.

Going by some of these posts, I wonder if you all would have batted Barry Bonds leadoff during the early 2000s. His .600 OBP was great after all!

I would have. Not doing that would have been a real mistake in retrospect. Maybe that is why his teams never won.

When I think about it, maybe keeping Markakis would have been beneficial since it could have kept Machado batting in a position in the lineup where he could have done more damage. Its not too late though, we could grab a Parra without giving up too much and move Manny back though.

Pitchers bat there, and they don't have to face 3 of the top 6 teams in terms of runs in all of baseball. You have to get down to 15th for the first NL Central team to pop up.

Ideally my lineup would be

Zobrist/S.Smith

Machado

Parades

Jones

Davis

And I really like Bruce. He is too similar to what we already have. Tons of K's and hits HR's. I'd be really happy if we got him but I don't think its the best fit.

100% agree

3 of the top 4 pitching teams come from the NL Central. I would like Zobrist - but Bruce gives us a replacement next year when Davis walks. That is why I would go for it.

I've always been a fan of Zobrist and I think he is exactly the kind of player that this team needs. I agree that Bruce would be a nice replacement for Davis after this season.

When I think about it, maybe keeping Markakis would have been beneficial since it could have kept Machado batting in a position in the lineup where he could have done more damage. Its not too late though, we could grab a Parra without giving up too much and move Manny back though.

Why does Manny have to move? You know I do not believe that lineup construction means anything.

Going by some of these posts, I wonder if you all would have batted Barry Bonds leadoff during the early 2000s. His .600 OBP was great after all!

I don't get some of the posters' perspectives either.

Do you guys think SD would go for something like this?

O's get:

Justin Upton

Padres get:

Miguel Gonzalez

Mike Wright

David Lough/Chris Parmelee

I don't see two months of Upton as something that should fetch a haul including Bundy/Harvey/ and/or Sisco.

Do you guys think SD would go for something like this?

O's get:

Justin Upton

Padres get:

Miguel Gonzalez

Mike Wright

David Lough/Chris Parmelee

I don't see two months of Upton as something that should fetch a haul including Bundy/Harvey/ and/or Sisco.

You don't think they could get a better package for Upton than Gonzalez/Wright/Lough?

You don't think they could get a better package for Upton than Gonzalez/Wright/Lough?

SD could easily get a package with a top 100 prospect. I don't see a Miggy package being able to beat out other teams (though given how big Petco is, it could be a good stadium for him).

They certainly could. I just don't see two months of an above-average outfielder being worth a top prospect. Although a team could easily beat the Gonzalez/Wright/Lough offer, I still think it would be a solid trade for the Pads. Three guys who are relatively cheap and under control for a few years.

Archived