Orioles interested in Justin Upton, others

jamesenoch

Do you guys think SD would go for something like this?

O's get:

Justin Upton

Padres get:

Miguel Gonzalez

Mike Wright

David Lough/Chris Parmelee

I don't see two months of Upton as something that should fetch a haul including Bundy/Harvey/ and/or Sisco.

Plus why do we do it? That kills our starting depth in one trade. This would put Norris back in rotation and Wilson/Davies as 6th and 7th on depth chart with no one else really.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They certainly could. I just don't see two months of an above-average outfielder being worth a top prospect. Although a team could easily beat the Gonzalez/Wright/Lough offer, I still think it would be a solid trade for the Pads. Three guys who are relatively cheap and under control for a few years.

You honestly think this would be a good deal for the Padres? Trading a 28 year old all-star power hitter for a #4-#5 starter and 2 scrubs?

Plus why do we do it? That kills our starting depth in one trade. This would put Norris back in rotation and Wilson/Davies as 6th and 7th on depth chart with no one else really.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Was just about to post something similar... I don't think J Up can get us back the 8 runs that Bud will eventually surrender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Kenny, we knew you when.

I'm no fan of Rosenthal, but what did he say here that isn't true? I have defended Duke throughout the year, and I still think this team can win the division, but I gotta agree that this was not the best effort from Duke this past offseason.

I've been meaning to post something for a few weeks now. I want to get on the record as saying, I'm against being a buyer at the trade deadline. It's a situation where demand is up and the opportunity to fleece teams ends play.

I believe we could intelligently sell a few of our rentals and still be in the race.

Do you guys think SD would go for something like this?

O's get:

Justin Upton

Padres get:

Miguel Gonzalez

Mike Wright

David Lough/Chris Parmelee

I don't see two months of Upton as something that should fetch a haul including Bundy/Harvey/ and/or Sisco.

I would not want to do this from the O's perspective. Miggy is part of our rotation right now, a proven MLB level pitcher who is helping us win ballgames. Just beat David Price and the Tigers. He is not an ace but he is a valuable member of our group this year, and we will want him on hand next year. Otherwise, we are looking at bringing Norris back to the rotation and I do not want to see that any time soon.

I agree we do not want to give up Harvey or Cisco. Not sure about Bundy. I might do Bundy and Parmelee for a rental of Upton.

You honestly think this would be a good deal for the Padres? Trading a 28 year old all-star power hitter for a #4-#5 starter and 2 scrubs?

You do realize that the Orioles would be trading for 2 and a half months of Upton, right? He'll be paid $5M for about 1-2 wins over that period. So, a surplus value of maybe $5M. Maybe the Padres can get a better return, but they would be getting multiple years of each of those players for a short rental of Upton. Sometimes it seems like folks only value trades on how good each player is, without regards to their contract situation at all. In most cases a rental of a very good player isn't really worth multiple years of even an average Major Leaguer.

You do realize that the Orioles would be trading for 2 and a half months of Upton, right? He'll be paid $5M for about 1-2 wins over that period. So, a surplus value of maybe $5M. Maybe the Padres can get a better return, but they would be getting multiple years of each of those players for a short rental of Upton. Sometimes it seems like folks only value trades on how good each player is, without regards to their contract situation at all. In most cases a rental of a very good player isn't really worth multiple years of even an average Major Leaguer.

Unless that player is Keith Moreland....oh wait, that didn't work out real well. ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles fans Colleen & Tony Serra name their kids Camden & Yardley <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CamdenYards?src=hash">#CamdenYards</a> (via <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottSAllen">@ScottSAllen</a>) <a href="http://t.co/t0OPfNxZG0">pic.twitter.com/t0OPfNxZG0</a></p>— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) <a href="

">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, I'm fully aware of Justin Upton's contract. This is an absurd trade suggestion. There's no way the Padres would trade a player like Upton for what was mentioned. It's a complete 1 sided deal for the Orioles, so of course I would do it. But that offer is not remotely close to reality.

Power hitting outfielders in their 20s are hard to find. The Padres would get a much better return than the garbage mentioned. Gonzalez is at best a #4 starter and Lough and Wright are triple A talent.

Yes, I'm fully aware of Justin Upton's contract. This is an absurd trade suggestion. There's no way the Padres would trade a player like Upton for what was mentioned. It's a complete 1 sided deal for the Orioles, so of course I would do it. But that offer is not remotely close to reality.

The way I view it are the players offered and the salary relief more valuable then the QO? Obviously Upton is of little value to the 2015 Padres, in fact he could be viewed as a detriment to future growth.

Once you determine the offer is better then the value Upton currently has to the Padres then you have to compare that offer to the other offers.

The way I view it are the players offered and the salary relief more valuable then the QO? Obviously Upton is of little value to the 2015 Padres, in fact he could be viewed as a detriment to future growth.

Once you determine the offer is better then the value Upton currently has to the Padres then you have to compare that offer to the other offers.

If the Padres' GM traded Upton for Gonzalez, Lough and Wright, he would be fired immediately.

Archived