Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harvey wasn't healthy in the offseason. He'd be a top 25ish arm assuming continued development over the past 12 months, I'd imagine. BA incorrectly (in my opinion) viewed Finnegan as a starter.

There are many differences of opinion here. I am not saying that yours and BP's is not correct. The Reds view him as a possible top of the rotation starter at this point. And they will work him that way in AAA.

There are many differences of opinion here. I am not saying that yours and BP's is not correct. The Reds view him as a possible top of the rotation starter at this point. And they will work him that way in AAA.

The Reds view everyone as a starter. Sometimes they are right.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25251091/rival-teams-padres-are-pushing-hard-to-trade-big-namescontracts

Outfielders Justin Upton and Will Venable and starter Ian Kennedy are among the free agents who will likely find a new home, while Joaquin Benoit has a club option for next year and could be traded, as well.

Shields was signed as a free agent but didn't get a no-trade clause.

and

Of course, they may just be gauging interest after a disappointing start to the season following a very interesting winter, but rivals say pitchers James Shields and Andrew Cashner as well as reliever Craig Kimbrel are being mentioned prominently in trade talks as the July 31 trade deadline closes in.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25251091/rival-teams-padres-are-pushing-hard-to-trade-big-namescontracts

Outfielders Justin Upton and Will Venable and starter Ian Kennedy are among the free agents who will likely find a new home, while Joaquin Benoit has a club option for next year and could be traded, as well.

Shields was signed as a free agent but didn't get a no-trade clause.

and

Of course, they may just be gauging interest after a disappointing start to the season following a very interesting winter, but rivals say pitchers James Shields and Andrew Cashner as well as reliever Craig Kimbrel are being mentioned prominently in trade talks as the July 31 trade deadline closes in.

I notice the article discussing the Padres' need to cut payroll. If Padres fans get wind that the team is in fire-sale mode, how would this affect Padres attendance, not only this year but next year? Padres' management made a huge deal last winter about how much they were spending to field a competing team. This worked to build fan excitement. Now that the team isn't doing that well, Padres' management wants to sell them all off. Wouldn't this adversely affect Padres' attendance, and wouldn't this cut down in revenue?

Preller went for it and it didn't work. He was the toast of the off season. I can't blame him. Getting out from under as many of those contracts as possible is the way to go now. He went for the Marlins model. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't get he brass ring before tearing it all down and starting over.

I can't imagine Cherington is getting much love in Boston. Maybe Toronto can raid them for a GM like Boston raided them for a manager and leave us the hell alone. Would there would be much resistance to Ben leaving Beantown?

Realistically what would it take to get Jay Bruce? Of course they would want Gausman. But would they take Cisco, Wright, and Wilson?

Trade Chris Davis to the Cards for Piscotty

Flip Piscotty and another prospect (or the comp B pick?) for Jay Bruce

It's basically standing pat for this year (Bruce and Crush have strikingly similar numbers). But it gives the Orioles a lefty MOO bat for next season at 13 mill that can be extended a QO after 2016. Lose some roster flexibility for the stretch run and would have to rely on the struggling bats Parm/Pearce/Flash/etc at 1B.

I don't know what the market is for Bruce but I'd think a major league ready top 100 prospect that fits instantly into RF would be a good piece. Of course the Cardinals would hate the Orioles for moving Piscotty right back into their divison.

Obviously this conjecture is meaningless - and i don't know the restrictions MLB puts on trades (comp picks, etc.) but I've became enchanted by the idea of having Bruce in an Orioles uniform too.

Preller went for it and it didn't work. He was the toast of the off season. I can't blame him. Getting out from under as many of those contracts as possible is the way to go now. He went for the Marlins model. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't get he brass ring before tearing it all down and starting over.

Agreed. I live in SD and buzz in SoCal and national media is the padres need to get younger. No way in hell Upton is back so he's gone.

Cashner is the biggest enigma. He's yet to learn how to pitch to his live arm. I think they are done being patient with him.

Dumbest move was trading rizzo; they had to have known that A-Gon was as good as gone.

They need to recoup prospect pool; already gave up Joe Ross and Trea Turner to Nats in a dumb trade

Archived