Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. What we need is to sell Davis/Chen/DOD for prospects and think about the long term stability of the franchise.

I wouldn't want to part with any prospects that would affect our long term stability. I'm fine with getting picks for those guys......although I'm not sure O'Day gets a QO.

At this point, I wonder if Wieters does?

I like Zobrist. And I do believe that we can buy a little and not sell our FA's, without hurting future of the franchise. But the problem with Zobrist is that he's worth more as a middle infielder than a LF. Good hitting MIF's have more value the corner OF's. So that would drive up the price for us. Gererado Parra is a better fit and will probably cost less in terms of prospects. Guys I think would be good fits

Parra trade Parker Bridwell

D.Haren trade Tyler Wilson

M.Byrd trade Jason Garcia and Parm

Those are 3 guys that would give us a boost, while also not depleting the farm system. I'm fine with letting the FA's walk and taking the comp picks. It doesn't seem like teams are getting big value prospects anyway. So the first round picks seem more valuable right now. Then we could have

Chen, Ubaldo, Gonzo, Tillman, Haren

Britton, O'day, Roe, Gausman, Brach, Hunter, Matusz

Parra, Machado, Davis, Jones, Byrd, MW, Hardy, Snider, Schoop

Joseph, Flaherty, Lough, Reimold/Pearce

I think Zobrist's value is as a 2B/SS. That's where his makes the biggest difference on defense and his offense is better than average. To me he is a replacement level corner OF, not that much better than the guys we have. Not worth trading for in a year that we should probably be sellers rather than buyers.

Agreed. If we want a corner OF we should be looking elswhere... like Jay Bruce.

To me, as people have stated, Zobrist is going to be in demand because of the positional flexibility. He fits on nearly every team. Also, I want to be optimistic, but I don't know that 2015 is an all-in type season. I was behind the Miller deal last year because the O's were in position to make a run in the postseason. This year, its more of a run to squeeze into the playoff picture. Add that to the fact we already have a number of Free Agents at years end and I would prefer a guy we can control at least through 2016. I like Bruce or Reddick as targets.

.800 OPS hitters are not nearly as common in baseball now as they used to be.

Here's a guy who's 34, on the last year of his deal, and putting up an .800 OPS in that hitter's wonderland that is Oakland.

He should come very cheap, will not require us to commit any dollars to him for '16 and beyond if we don't want to.......and he fills a big hole in our roster.

We have exactly 3 guys on our team right now hitting as well as Zobrist (or better). It's well documented that we've been awful at the corner OF spots.

LF - .616 OPS (just unacceptable)

RF - .770 OPS (this is kind of misleading as we've been running Davis out there recently who's been hitting well......which really has been a neutral move since it's meant more Parmelee in the lineup. We're helping Peter by robbing Paul or I think that's what Buck always says). ;)

Stick Zobrist in one of those spots and call it a day. Get Davis back at 1B. Time's running out here.

In no sense will he be cheap. Basically every contender wants him.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I like Zobrist. And I do believe that we can buy a little and not sell our FA's, without hurting future of the franchise. But the problem with Zobrist is that he's worth more as a middle infielder than a LF. Good hitting MIF's have more value the corner OF's. So that would drive up the price for us. Gererado Parra is a better fit and will probably cost less in terms of prospects. Guys I think would be good fits

Alright, I'm convinced. Why is no one talking about Parra? He's making almost no money, .861 OPS, 28 years old....I guess because he is way outperforming his previous body of work?

Seems to me like that's an even better reason to try to buy assuming his pricetag is lower. No commitment beyond the rest of this year.

At what longterm cost is this, they gave up three pitchers already?

Yea who knows. I'm so torn about this whole thing, we haven't exactly developed any pitchers even though our prospects continuously get hype, but I don't want to risk it. Last year would have been the time to go get a starter, this year, meh

I'm game for any reasonable trade as long as the cost is appropriate. Zobrist is worth maybe a win over the rest of the season. He'll be paid for... what... about a win? If the A's want a random 10-20 ranked organizational prospect, sure, why not? I'd guess some other team will bid more, but that's just a guess. Maybe it would be helpful to have him already here if he was going to be a target in the offseason, but I don't know if I want to commit long-term to a 34-year-old coming off his worst year since 2008.

smh...

anyway, Ben Zobrist is exactly the kind of player that the Orioles have needed - fundamental, baseball smart, knows how to have good at bats, etc. I know that these are attributes can't be measured with a formula so they will be dismissed by some, but they do matter. Nick Markakis was the same way and that's one of the reasons why it was painful to see him go. I do agree that it would have been more beneficial to have him here for the entire season but it is what it is. I don't think that the Orioles should be buyer's at this point.

Would it be possible for you just to make your point without trying to pick a fight with the saber guys in every single post. I don't know what your deal is but you're freaking obsessed. The points you made were valid (to me at least) but they are minimized by the battle you (and only you) seem to be waging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He likes to stroll down this path, all the time. :)

Archived