Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

OK. Even if you take that stance, if he signs during the negotiating window for market value, it can't be with another team. As I said before, that wouldn't have been possible without the trade.

Yea thank god we had that window with Nick and Cruz this offseason without it we would never have convinced them to stay.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I'd rather watch Gausman, Ubaldo, Gonzo, Tillman, and a sweet free agent starter that we sign in the offseason. We'll see about Davies.
I don't even view Davies as a viable member of the rotation. I just see him as a guy that can pitch at AAA and if the O's need a sport starter for a day or a month they can bring him up.

Right. He's your sixth guy, so you don't have to tear your hair out when one of your starters inevitably goes down with an injury. And that's more or less what he already is. It's quite possible he becomes a legitimate back end starter, but he doesn't have to be that in order to be more valuable than a marginal upgrade of Parra over Snider.

You believe the difference between Parra and Snider over the next 60 days is postseason vs. no postseason?

Not likely. But the difference between the wildcard and no wildcard is likely a game or two in the standings. Parra may well be worth a couple wins over Snider, Reimold, etc. Of course there's an untold number of interdependent variables here, so it's impossible to assign direct credit and blame for the players on teams around that wildcard threshold.

I think developing prospective #4 starters in order to trade them at the deadline is a defensible strategy. Maybe he catches on right away in the big leagues, or, maybe it takes him three years to figure it out. I don't see the O's giving a guy three years to figure out how to be a #4. You trade for that guy or find him on a field in Mexico (like Miguel Gonzalez). So, I'm not all upset about giving up Davies. Whether or not Parra is the right guy we will have to see.

Right. He's your sixth guy, so you don't have to tear your hair out when one of your starters inevitably goes down with an injury. And that's more or less what he already is. It's quite possible he becomes a legitimate back end starter, but he doesn't have to be that in order to be more valuable than a marginal upgrade of Parra over Snider.

I don't think Parra is marginal upgrade. I think he's filling in a hole at lead off, moving Chris Davis back to 1B, and removing a ton of at bats from Snyder and Reimold. Will it get us to the playoffs? Maybe, we were already headed that way. Was Davies too much? That depends on what you think Davies' ceiling is and whether you think the Orioles will need him anyway. It also depends if you think his pitching will play in the majors. If we go to the playoffs and Davies doesn't do anything with his career, did we win?