The secret of Zach Britton's unique dominance

xian4

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been saying the same thing. It is a good sign that his walk rate decreased last season despite the strike zone not increasing.

I think his command was much better in 2015 than it has ever been. The Royals were able to wait him out a bit in the 2014 playoffs, but he adjusted and got more aggressive (68.9% strikes last year, 63.5% on first pitch, compared to 63.9%/55.1% in 2014).

I think his command was much better in 2015 than it has ever been. The Royals were able to wait him out a bit in the 2014 playoffs, but he adjusted and got more aggressive (68.9% strikes last year, 63.5% on first pitch, compared to 63.9%/55.1% in 2014).

I wonder if his arm wasn't a bit tired by the time, the playoffs came around. He had only thrown 40 innings, the year before and 60 before that.

I wonder if his arm wasn't a bit tired by the time, the playoffs came around. He had only thrown 40 innings, the year before and 60 before that.

Didn't he have to fly cross-country for the birth of his child, then fly back, during the playoffs that year? Just prior to the ALCS?

You're omitting his minor league innings from those two years. In 2013 Zach threw 103 innings in the minors in addition to the 40 he threw in the majors. The previous year he threw 63 in the minors and 60 in the majors.

Didn't he have to fly cross-country for the birth of his child, then fly back, during the playoffs that year? Just prior to the ALCS?

He was back in town, Wednesday before the Friday ALCS Game 1.

Not sure flying first class or private charter, is all that senerous on the body.

But, it could be a combination of the cross crountry flights, good advance scouting and a tired arm.

• 4 weeks later...
Fangraphs had an article today analyzing Britton's four blown saves last year and how they were mostly the result of infield hits.

Can you tell it's a slow news time for baseball?

Still interesting enough though especially if you have a passion for watching GIFS of dinky grounders narrowly escaping the grasp of Orioles infielders.

blown save is a blown save.

But, personally, I would rather see a cheap infield hit, than a 450 foot monster shot.

blown save is a blown save.

But, personally, I would rather see a cheap infield hit, than a 450 foot monster shot.

Well, it might also help us prevent blown saves from him in the future.

“History” in this case dates back to just 2002, but Britton stands alone at the top by a comfortable margin, 3.5 standard deviations above the mean and a full standard deviation above the guy in third place

Wow. I really, really want to see him try to be a starter.

Archived