vs. RAYS, 8/31

OFFNY

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Parra is 2-for-25 in his last 6 games <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">September 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He is going to get a Cruz contract.That would be stupid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Parra is 2-for-25 in his last 6 games <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

They call that the Snider Syndrome.

Orioles corner spots are just cursed this year. The Markakis Jinx. Where good OFs go to OPS less than .700.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• But are we getting 2017 Niko or 2022 Niko?  That is the question.  
    • No. In 2024 they are on the hook for whatever the Mets aren’t paying in 2024.  With half the season left, that number has been reduced in half. No one is trading for Scherzer right now because he just got back from the IL and they will want to see more of him. By the time he’s traded, it will be less than half. 
    • If you were going to run a comprehensive study you'd have to run a correlation between MVP votes and (value metric of your choice) across all teams, then see if the Yanks were different than the average. But even that might be of limited usefulness, because I'd guess the WAR leader has won the MVP less than half the time, perhaps substantially less. It's only been the last 15-20 years that we've had decent, reasonable, consistent ways of combining and comparing different types of production on a common baseline. So even as recently as 2005 MVP voters were left to their own guessing and biases to figure out if a run saved by a pitcher was more or less valuable than a run created by a hitter, or a baserunner or even how (or if) to include fielding. In other words, even if a Yankee beat a more-qualified player in the voting what does that mean in a world where Juan Gonzalez and his three wins out-polls ARod and his nine? How do you pick out the Yankee bias from the "we just don't have/use an objective way to measure value" bias?
    • I read that as Scherzer is owed $43 million this year and that $43 million is spread over his game checks for 2024. I read it as Texas got a $20 million stipend for this year basically.  We’re halfway through the season, so that means he’s owed half of his $43 million. Not half of what’s left to over from his salary and the $20 million stipend. That $20 million stipend seems like it was built in to cover the 1st half of 2024. So he’s owed that 2nd half. Which is $20 million.  We’re not paying him $20 million the rest of the season. 
    • I’d prefer they trade value to get a starter from a team like Seattle. If Seattle hopes to be competitive in the playoffs they will need to find some more offense. 
    • He didn’t execute it last night but Mullins tried to bunt last night. I hope we see him trying to do more of that.  I know teams will try to take it away often but when he has the opportunity to do it, I hope he tries because he’s an accomplished bunter.
  • Popular Contributors