The most obscure statistic EVER

Frobby

I heard the comment and thought to myself, “So?” But you know what they say, “A port in any storm.” Any positive/feel good hook they can hang their hats on. Like Bordick. If he was on the Titanic he’d say, “Hey, look guys! Free ice!!!”

and aren't in a position to give

I think Bordick would say that the captain was one of the hardest working captains on the seas, but just ran into a really nasty iceberg that was on its game.

The often-insipid MASN statistics point out a serious shortcoming of Hunter, Bordick and (to a lesser degree) Thorne. They don't do any of their own homework to come up with meaningful analysis (statistical or otherwise) of the game, the Orioles, the opponent or anything else. When the MASN graphics come on the screen they have nothing to add (other than an observation that any fan could make, like "Some pretty impressive names on that list" or "Three of those guys are in the Hall of Fame!"). No context, no evaluation, no way of telling us what it means to have 20 doubles and 50 RBIs by July 13. The frequent MASN graphics, many of which are transparently meaningless, enable these guys to hide behind their laziness and lack of anything meaningful to say.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and aren't in a position to give

I think Bordick would say that the captain was one of the hardest working captains on the seas, but just ran into a really nasty iceberg that was on its game.

The often-insipid MASN statistics point out a serious shortcoming of Hunter, Bordick and (to a lesser degree) Thorne. They don't do any of their own homework to come up with meaningful analysis (statistical or otherwise) of the game, the Orioles, the opponent or anything else. When the MASN graphics come on the screen they have nothing to add (other than an observation that any fan could make, like "Some pretty impressive names on that list" or "Three of those guys are in the Hall of Fame!"). No context, no evaluation, no way of telling us what it means to have 20 doubles and 50 RBIs by July 13. The frequent MASN graphics, many of which are transparently meaningless, enable these guys to hide behind their laziness and lack of anything meaningful to say.

I honestly think Hunter does a ton of homework and prides himself on bringing up rarer bits of trivia (hardly any of it being meaningful). I think he loves his job, but doesn't have any idea what kinds of analyses are truly "really kinda interesting."

I heard the comment and thought to myself, ?So?? But you know what they say, ?A port in any storm.? Any positive/feel good hook they can hang their hats on. Like Bordick. If he was on the Titanic he?d say, ?Hey, look guys! Free ice!!!?

This made me LOL!

I honestly think Hunter does a ton of homework and prides himself on bringing up rarer bits of trivia (hardly any of it being meaningful). I think he loves his job, but doesn't have any idea what kinds of analyses are truly "really kinda interesting."

I don't think Hunter does anything but read what MASN feeds him when it comes to the numbers/trivia stuff. He's the Ron Burgundy of baseball announcers.

So am I the only one shocked that Billy had 35 hits in a month?

He did hit .308 in 1987, and .291 three years later. Which is pretty amazing for a guy who OPS'd .612 for his career, and had five different seasons with 100+ ABs and an OPS under .600.

One of the more amazing seasons in O's history was his 1988, where he qualified for the batting title in a season with a .518 OPS.

Stuff like that gives real analysis a bad name. I cringe at almost all of the trivia MASN feeds us. My eight-year old will look at the TV and say "look Schoop is the best at that". And it's just too convoluted to try to explain that there is no "that" and it doesn't mean anything at all. They need to just stop with all of it. Even if it was prefaced with "this is totally meaningless and just for fun" it would be counterproductive. I'd much, much, much rather have Ben McDonald telling stories about wrestling alligators or drinking with Pete Harnisch or something than totally invented, worthless factoids. I'd rather have Hunter tell us a 15-second story about getting hit with a foul ball.

It would be interesting if he actually was hit by a foul ball while describing that very thing. His stories are like listening to the phone book being read aloud, much longer than 15 seconds.

He did hit .308 in 1987, and .291 three years later. Which is pretty amazing for a guy who OPS'd .612 for his career, and had five different seasons with 100+ ABs and an OPS under .600.

One of the more amazing seasons in O's history was his 1988, where he qualified for the batting title in a season with a .518 OPS.

I guess I don't remember the (kinda) good.

I haven't been able to see the early part of the MASN broadcasts lately. Are they still running that idiotic American Standard "Who's Hot/Who's Not" feature, where it's always an Orioles who's "Hot" and an opponent who's "Not"? I'd hate to be the person in charge of finding "Who's Hot" on the Orioles right now. (Can't just keep putting Steve Clevenger's picture out there, I guess)
They are still doing that disingenuous HOT/NOT during each game.

I have decided to go with a 'truth in advertising' mentality for the night:

HotNot.jpg

Archived