What was the turning point of the season for the O's?

wildcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games 2-4 of the Twins series are what everyone will remember about this season (just like everyone remembers the Arizona series in 2013).

But this team never had much magic. Another poster pointed out in another thread that the O's are last or close to last in MLB in OPS in late and close situations, which is why their one-run record is so poor despite having an outstanding back end of the bullpen.

The O's were first in the same stat last year, so I don't think this is a repeatable skill or deficiency. Next year they will probably revert to the pack and their one-run record will revert as well. But it's definitely a primary reason why they have underperformed their Pythagorean record this season.

For me it's pretty clearly the Minnesota series. The last 3 games were gut-wrenching.
The Minnesota series ended everything. Losing 4 at home to that team (and all 7 overall) was like getting kicked 4 straight times in the marbles....by somebody half your size. I get that they have some good players, but they have lost at least 2 games to EVERY other team in the majors they have played and are actually under .500 against the rest of league.

Starting with that series, the Os have lost 5 straight series and one more Yankee loss this week makes it 6. That is very Dave Trembley-esque.

Add another one for this. Considering the upcoming schedule, the Orioles blew that series big time.

I don't think we had a turning point. We are what we are this year and may have been over achieving for part of it.

With undisciplined hitters and erratic SP...we were destined to finish as we are now doing. It just took until August for this to coalesce in to a string of hear reaching defeats.

There has to be a major change in attitude for next year, as well as some new players and coaches.

I think the Garden Gnome may have been the turning point. Someone please look up our stats pre and post Garden Gnome.

You are correct. We were tied for first the day of the Garden Gnome giveaway and stayed there for four more days, but it's been downhill ever since.

Archived