Rumor: Orioles to Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Wieters not to return?)

rd421

Ok I completely understand that this thread will get flamed to pieces bc I have a low post count but whatever. The following is 100% an actual conversation directly from the horses mouth BUT it's obviously super early and things change so take this with a grain of salt.

I am a lifelong O's fan relocated to West Palm Beach FL to be a Youth Pastor. WPB is Salty's home town and he grew up attending a church that I am very close with.

Long story short Salty was telling a few friends of mine that he already as agreed to a deal in principal with the O's. He's heading to Sarasota to bang out a few details a week or so after the WS but he said that the Orioles are not in on Wieters at all and they are moving on from him. Salty says that the deal should be announced quickly once the offseason actually gets going.

My buddy told him how big a fan I am and Salty went as far to tell him to let him know if I ever want anything O's related and he would take care of it.

I know that most of you don't know me and I don't claim to be an insider just thought I'd pass along some interesting info while we all wait for Crush to not come back lol.

Ps

As a former NFL media member of 5+ years I totally understand the importance of sources and rumors etc. I'm credible and wouldn't throw something like this out if it wasn't legit. If Mods would like to contact me I'll prove my NFL credibility credentials etc.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm okay with the rumor .... But I don't see how he is an upgrade at catcher? Perhaps they are planning to use him at DH or 1B? He hits RH pitching pretty well. He hasn't played a full season in a couple years? Or perhaps he would become the back up catcher with Clevenger taking over at DH full time.

I guess I'd be okay with that scenario as long as it's short term and cheap. He is basically a .220 hitter that showed limited power since leaving the Red Sox a few years ago.

If he could rediscover the .800 ish ops player from 2012-2013 he'd be a nice addition.

Um... ok, fine, he's a warm body and he'll come cheap. Did well in Arizona last year (.251/.332/.474, 115 OPS+).

He does seem rather redundant with Clevenger, but he is much more established and about the same age. Agreed this has no bearing on the Orioles giving Wieters a QO.

The Marlins signed Salty to a 3-year deal in 2014, but released him in May of last season. The Diamondbacks signed him as a minor league free agent and then brought him up. This means the Marlins will be on the hook for $8 million this season if he doesn't play anywhere. Any team that signs him, be it the Orioles or anyone else, likely will do so for the minimum, which will leave the Marlins picking up the tab. I can't imagine that any team will pay him more than $8 million and take the Rangers off the hook.

He had a good bounceback season last year, posting an .805 OPS with the D'backs in 70 games, after getting off to a terrible start with the Marlins.

If this rumor has any legs, it likely is because the O's would give him an opportunity to get AB at catcher and at DH. He might even get some reps at first base, where he has appeared in 44 MLB games. It's also possible that he could co-exist with Joseph and Clevenger.

Though he first made it to the majors with the Rangers, he didn't join them until the year after Buck was fired, so there is no prior relationship.

If this happens, it seems like a good "just in case" signing, a minimum deal to provide depth in a couple of areas. If it works out, it will be because Salty is hitting the ball and getting fairly regular at bats. If it doesn't, it will only cost the minimum to let him go.

I am under the impression that teams cannot speak to pending free agents, even about non-binding deals, until five days after the World Series. I don't think the O's would risk getting in trouble with MLB over Jarrod Saltalamacchia. So I don't believe this rumor, and it has nothing to do with your post count. But if we sign Salty early in the FA period I may put some credence in your rumor, and then I'll wonder what the hell the Orioles were doing.

I am under the impression that teams cannot speak to pending free agents, even about non-binding deals, until five days after the World Series. I don't think the O's would risk getting in trouble with MLB over Jarrod Saltalamacchia. So I don't believe this rumor, and it has nothing to do with your post count. But if we sign Salty early in the FA period I may put some credence in your rumor, and then I'll wonder what the hell the Orioles were doing.

Yes, it could be a case of a player making stuff up to impress people.

The five day thing is interesting, but a bit naive I think. I'm sure Salty Agent very likely has other players the play for the Orioles. He could certainly call about another client and then bring it up.

Ago for me it's a meh signing that gives them the ability to DH him or Clevenger full time . It makes it easier on Buck not to have to worry about DHing his only other catching option.

I don't think this will effect QOing Wieters in the slightest.

The five day thing is interesting, but a bit naive I think. I'm sure Salty Agent very likely has other players the play for the Orioles. He could certainly call about another client and then bring it up.

Ago for me it's a meh signing that gives them the ability to DH him or Clevenger full time . It makes it easier on Buck not to have to worry about DHing his only other catching option.

I don't think this will effect QOing Wieters in the slightest.

Doesn't look like Jim Munsey has that many clients, not that he needs to, makes a good living off Salty.

http://www.baseballplayersalaries.com/agents/20_Jim_Munsey

I am sure teams put feelers out to agents,to let them know they are interested in this or that player. Not sure about a deal but might be mutual interest between player and agent. Salty would be interesting. I thought he was the guy while on the Red Sox who made a comment about Cruz's steroid use.

i am sure teams put feelers out to agents,to let them know they are interested in this or that player. Not sure about a deal but might be mutual interest between player and agent. Salty would be interesting. I thought he was the guy while on the Red Sox who made a comment about Cruz's steroid use.

I'm not sure where the line is between what you can and can't do, but I know "agreed to a deal in principal" (see OP) is way over the line. And I'd be very surprised if that has happened, because Jarrod Saltalamcchia isn't worth breaking the rules for.

I'm not sure where the line is between what you can and can't do, but I know "agreed to a deal in principal" (see OP) is way over the line. And I'd be very surprised if that has happened, because Jarrod Saltalamcchia isn't worth breaking the rules for.

Roch wrote this a few days ago:

Just off the top of my head, I can name Pierzynski and Saltalamacchia as two catchers who didn't pique the Orioles' interest the last time they were available.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/10/more-on-matt-wieters.html

Archived