Britton's trade value

tntoriole

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Houston "hell bent" on getting a closer. Britton and C. Walker?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/astros-strongly-interested-in-acquiring-closer.html

While there aren't many premium relievers on the free agent market, it seems that Chapman, Miller, Boxberger, Giles, and Papelbon are all available by trade. Britton might not be worth quite that much in this kind of market.

While there aren't many premium relievers on the free agent market, it seems that Chapman, Miller, Boxberger, Giles, and Papelbon are all available by trade. Britton might not be worth quite that much in this kind of market.

Miller, Boxberger, Giles, Papelbon are all behind Britton in return. Miller and Papelbon because of HUGE cost. Giles and Boxberger because they ain't the guy yet. If you can just afford to go buy a guy and not give up prospects, you take Papelbon. And your team may not play too well.

Miller, Boxberger, Giles, Papelbon are all behind Britton in return. Miller and Papelbon because of HUGE cost. Giles and Boxberger because they ain't the guy yet. If you can just afford to go buy a guy and not give up prospects, you take Papelbon. And your team may not play too well.

Doesn't Paps have no trade protection?

I think you would have to wine and dine him.

Miller is only $9MM a season for the next 3 years. That's not a huge cost at all for how good he's been. Britton will exceed that in arbitration by next year. The only thing that would keep Miller in check in terms of trade value is his extensive injury history.

Britton is much better than everybody else on that list, except for Chapman. Chapman only has one year of control left, however. Miller and Britton are easily the most attractive options, it's simply a matter of which they prefer and how much they have to give up to get either.

Miller is only $9MM a season for the next 3 years. That's not a huge cost at all for how good he's been. Britton will exceed that in arbitration by next year. The only thing that would keep Miller in check in terms of trade value is his extensive injury history.

Britton is much better than everybody else on that list, except for Chapman. Chapman only has one year of control left, however. Miller and Britton are easily the most attractive options, it's simply a matter of which they prefer and how much they have to give up to get either.

Britton is two years at less AAV. Miller is three. And a history of injury. The Britton deal is a third better and you think the Yankees are trading Miller for just salary relief?

I do however agree with your assessment of the qualities.

Britton is two years at less AAV. Miller is three. And a history of injury. The Britton deal is a third better and you think the Yankees are trading Miller for just salary relief?

Also, if Britton needs TJ they would have the nontender option. If Miller has TJ, they are stuck with it.

Britton is the most valuable overall reliever, in my opinion. The question is whether that is enough to get an MLB ready potential stud.

We gave up Ed Rod to get a couple months of Miller not too long ago. It doesn't seem like a stretch to ask for Reed. Plus Walker would be a decent depth option for them to get back in return.

I think Miller's contract situation is actually better than Britton's. It's more guaranteed years and money but he's so good that it's actually providing more surplus value. The Yankees want to move him because they realize he would fetch a huge haul and are comfortable with Betances at closer.

Let me put it this way - if we avoid arbitration with Britton and sign him to a 3/27 contract, would that be a good or bad thing? I'd say that it was unequivocally better than his current contract situation. Miller and Britton are about equal in terms of skill - they're both among the very best relievers in the game.

Would you do that deal if you were Houston?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros hellbent on adding closer to bullpen - Luke Gregerson | HOU <a href="https://t.co/JJqsXajjxb">https://t.co/JJqsXajjxb</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/mlb?src=hash">#mlb</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/fantasybaseball?src=hash">#fantasybaseball</a></p>— World Gaming Fantasy (@WGFantasy) <a href="

">November 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Too much, Reed stands a good shot at being a top 10 prospect in baseball next year. I can't recall any player of that caliber ever being moved for a reliever.

I mentioned Lewis Brinson in the other thread. He'd be about the highest talent possible I could see Britton landing. Kid is a flat out stud.

Reed isn't a top ten prospect in all of baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collectively no, Reed likely has less value than what BOS gave up for Kimbrel.

That said, the Red Sox gave up the collection they did give up to avoid giving up higher ranked prospects. I doubt any team is giving up a guy (Reed) who is on track to be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball for Britton when SD could not coax anything higher than BA's 5th highest (on the Red Sox not baseball) prospect for the Red Sox.

SD got a nice package for Kimbrel but my guess is that most teams are gonna be resistant to giving up ONE guy like a Reed who can be a stud and much more amenable to giving up package with some quality and less certainty.

When you consider that Javier Guerra and Margot where the 5th and 7th prospects in the Red Sox farm system and where they would rank in ours, sad sad sad.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/11/13/closer-look-prospects-red-sox-traded-away/622IxpiHRfp21cQ3jE5g9N/story.html

Margot is a VERY good talent. Maybe better than Reed by himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived