Britton's trade value

tntoriole

1) Yes, one of them.

2) I don't think that's the purpose. The idea would be to find a MLB-ready or near-ready player who could contribute in the short-to-medium term.

3) I don't think they're rebuilding, and even if they do you'd hope there is light at the end of the tunnel before Machado reaches free agency.

4) 10/250 would probably get him to sign on with the Seibu Lions or the York Revolution.

Oliver Drake?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think that the O's FO should trade Machado now, for top prospects? Or in a multi-player deal for players not quite as talented as Machado?
If we can't extend him next winter. And part of being able to extend him will be demonstrating that we are serious about contending this year. The other part will be showing him the money.

If we can't extend him next winter. And part of being able to extend him will be demonstrating that we are serious about contending this year. The other part will be showing him the money.

A Davis deal would go quite a ways towards keeping Manny (and the money). I think Britton stays if DOD goes. If we sign DOD, much more likely then that Britton goes in a trade. Maybe DD justifies closer money for DOD if he can work a trade for a corner outfielder using Britton rather than signing a free agent. Maybe Puig for Britton.

Any suggestions?

You're asking for a guy who is a year off being a top 15 prospect in the game and a pitcher that is coming off a 3.4fWAR season.That's more than rumored packages the Cubs might give up for young studs controlled arms like Danny Salazar,Tyson Ross, etc. Not to mention would leave the Cubs having to fill 3 rotation spots instead of 2. A new closer is just so incredibly low on the list of priorities that it's tremendously unlikely.

I hate to be a broken record. But if Britton gets traded, and assuming O'Day walks -- who will be the O's closer? Givens? Brach? Wright? Wilson?

And if the purpose of trading Britton is a complete rebuild, then how will the team keep Machado? Will be want to play for a rebuilding team?

Having a closer only matters if there is something to close. If this team were playoff capable as constructed or had extensive resources to burn like the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers then sure you would worry more about who is gonna close. If you had a farm system full of prospects then maybe your less worried about filling your positional needs as you have prospects to slide in if whomever you take a flyer on at those positions of need does not work out. The Orioles do not have that luxury either.

If you can get a guy with a good possibility of being an everyday player for the next 4-5 years for your failed starter turned excellent closer who will eventually hit the market as a Boras client (i.e do not expect any discounts) then you absolutely should do that especially in light of the number of needs we have and the amount of money likely available to fill them.

No rush to move him, would only do it for a good return but certainly it should be considered, I would rather try to figure out who is gonna close games than who is gonna play LF, RF, 1B etc....

If their is any truth to Peter opening the vault and urging DD to spend I doubt they are really dealing Britton,

DD should listen to any offers on Britton that are made. IF one returns a player that has a high probability of being a pretty good every day starter at a position of need for this year and beyond, then pull the trigger.

If PA loosens the budget some, I doubt it's to the degree though that we can fill say 2x SP, 1B, COF, DH and more. That would take an extraordinary financial commitment and frankly would not be necessarily the best thing long term as signing FA is not the best value and tends to provide long term diminishing returns. Balancing out your FA signings with some young prospects brought back from a Britton trade might make a whole lot of sense.

Is Reed worth more than the haul BOS traded for Kimbrel? Britton has a similar value.

Collectively no, Reed likely has less value than what BOS gave up for Kimbrel.

That said, the Red Sox gave up the collection they did give up to avoid giving up higher ranked prospects. I doubt any team is giving up a guy (Reed) who is on track to be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball for Britton when SD could not coax anything higher than BA's 5th highest (on the Red Sox not baseball) prospect for the Red Sox.

SD got a nice package for Kimbrel but my guess is that most teams are gonna be resistant to giving up ONE guy like a Reed who can be a stud and much more amenable to giving up package with some quality and less certainty.

When you consider that Javier Guerra and Margot where the 5th and 7th prospects in the Red Sox farm system and where they would rank in ours, sad sad sad.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/11/13/closer-look-prospects-red-sox-traded-away/622IxpiHRfp21cQ3jE5g9N/story.html

Archived