O's sign Steve Tolleson to a minor league deal

wildcard

He also can play the corners, 1B and I think is considered our emergency 3rd catcher. I don't mind him not having a gold glove off the bench with that flexibility. Conversely, I'm honestly not a big fan of his, despite what I've been saying here. So I don't mind replacing him as long as it's improving the team and not merely penny pinching.

I think we should pinch pennies on the bench as long as we are covered defensively. An extra million for Flaherty, three or four extra for Pearce... it adds up.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flaherty is a utility guy who cannot consistently make the throws accurately from SS and 3B, so they started playing him in the OF and gave Manny the job of backing up JJ until Janish came up.

My guess is that Janish does not make the 25 man roster either. He has no options so he goes on waivers if he stays on the 40 man which is in doubt IMO. Ozzie Martinez may be at Norfolk as SS and be on the shuttle if need be.

I think we should pinch pennies on the bench as long as we are covered defensively. An extra million for Flaherty, three or four extra for Pearce... it adds up.

In principle, I agree. That's how I felt last year about Delmon, de Aza.. and someone else that's not coming to mind. Pearce, I actually hope we resign. I think he'd have a good year for us if he stays healthy (of course part applies to everyone). I don't really care for Flash frankly, if Tolleson provides enough infield flexibility to replace Flash then let's do it. He can't be any worse offensively. The initial post didn't imply to me that Tolleson was going to be a step up. If he is, then this is great. It just wasn't my understanding that this was the case. If I'm wrong let's trade him for a bag of balls and call it a day.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you 2 the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bluejays?src=hash">#bluejays</a> 4 the opportunity, friendships, and memories over the last 2 years. Couldn't B more excited 2 be back with the O's</p>— Steven Tolleson (@STolleson83) <a href="

">November 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe I didn't hear, but what happened to Tollison last year? He played 109 games for the Jays in 2014, but only 19 last year. And his bat didn't start off slow. Did he get injured?

He's a utility player, and they had fewer injuries at 3B (Donaldson) and 2B (Goins) in 2015.

As DD said the other day, "he's had one good season..." Take that for what it's worth.

Yeah, this sentiment isn't even cloaked or camouflaged. Dan has drawn the line on what he's going to pay for Steve Pearce. Good for him. We simply can not spend $7M on guys like this.

Yeah, this sentiment isn't even cloaked or camouflaged. Dan has drawn the line on what he's going to pay for Steve Pearce. Good for him. We simply can not spend $7M on guys like this.

Absolutely right.

And as for Flash, IF he is traded/released, it's probably more about who projects to the 25 man in 2016 and less about the $1 mil saved. Flaherty took a step back defensively this year and that's where he needs to be strong. Tolleson is a better hitter. But I think people are forgetting Flaherty's hidden power off the bench (career 15 HR/162), plus he's a lefty. I wouldn't trade Flaherty for Tolleson if I could help it.

Good depth signing. I think you guys are jumping to conclusions about flaherty a little too quick. I like his game. I see this as purely a depth OBP move, maybe a Pearce replacement. Flaherty has left handed power and can play all over the place. With Hardys back flaherty is a lock to make the 25. DD is sticking to the OBP statement with Tolleson and choi. Just at the minor league level though.

Other low risk, relatively good OBP guys we could go after:

LJ Hoes

John Jaso

Nori Aoki

Grady Sizemore

Kyle Blanks

Garret Jones

Good depth signing. I think you guys are jumping to conclusions about flaherty a little too quick. I like his game. I see this as purely a depth OBP move, maybe a Pearce replacement. Flaherty has left handed power and can play all over the place. With Hardys back flaherty is a lock to make the 25. DD is sticking to the OBP statement with Tolleson and choi. Just at the minor league level though.

Other low risk, relatively good OBP guys we could go after:

LJ Hoes

John Jaso

Nori Aoki

Grady Sizemore

Kyle Blanks

Garret Jones

They might keep Flaherty, but it won't be to back up JJ. Flash played in 18 games in September and October in 2015 and did not make an appearance at SS. He played 2B, 3B, and RF. He doesn't have the arm to throw from the hole, and Janish is a better infielder. Replacing Flaherty/Pearce with Janish/Tolleson would save the O's $4-6 million, depending on how much Pearce gets. That could be the difference in being able to sign a #2 pitcher or a #3 pitcher.

Archived