Trumbo an Oriole (For Clevenger Done Deal)

MASNPalmer

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be fun watching Trumbo hit 40 HRs for the O's this year. That kind of RH power plays pretty well with the short LCF wall at OPACY.

Anyone that's crying over losing Clevenger in the deal is really reaching for something to gripe about. Trumbo's power in this park will be well worth $9M.

In addition to taking a shot at 2016, DD could be positioning the team for a July selloff. Wieters and Trumbo could each bring back prospects. We'll see if he makes more deals of players who have no apparent role on the team (Parades, Lake, Alvarez, Walker, Roe) for guys who could have deadline deal value.

Would you take Davis in LF or RF? Would fill a hole.
The Orioles are not going to spend $120 Million plus on Chris Davis and convert him to COF.

I am not really a Trumbo fan but if the Orioles really traded Clevenger for two players on Seattle's 40 man roster to give the M's salary relief? I'd say the O's clobbered the M's again.

As I've thought about this deal, I think it leaves DD with a lot of options. You can fit Trumbo in with any of Davis, Upton or Heyward if the O's decide to pay big for a premium position player. Or, if the O's go get someone like Span, you'll have a balance of power and OBP/speed in your two acquisitions, and have a fair bit of money left over for pitching needs.

I honestly can't tell what this deal means regarding (1) the O's intention of pursuing Davis seriously, or (2) what the 2016 budget is. There are a lot of different directions Dan could go in. The next few weeks will be interesting.

This reminds me of the Cruz acquistion a couple years back - before spring training opened, there was a slow market with Cruz and Morales, and Dan picked one he liked.

Now before the tender deadline, it's another buyer's market for sluggers with at least Trumbo, Carter and Alvarez available, and again Dan's picked one.

The Orioles offensive philosophy is obviously slugging-oriented, doesn't value excessive pitch taking as much as most other clubs, and doesn't worry about strikeouts.

The Royals championship is going to put more athletic contact guys in vogue, and might even depress the value of hitters that are the Orioles type.

There might be more buying opportunities in this sector this offseason. If we ended up with Carter LF, Trumbo 1B, Alvarez DH and a Machado extension, I wouldn't regret Davis moving on a bit.

I worry some that meeting Davis's price jeopardizes bandwidth for a Machado $30M/year outlay later this decade, and that's the mega-game of the next few years.

Local bar here serves Jumbalaya Cheesesteaks. Needless to say we will all be calling them Trumbolaya Cheesesteaks. Get that rally started Mr. Trumbomb!

On a serious note, this deal makes a ton of sense. Trumbo hit .295 w/ 12 HR from July on last year with an OBP north of .340. Put him in Camden Yards in a muggy summer and watch him hit 30 HRs in a walk year.

Get to stay competitive this year while not hampering the payroll books for future liabilities (Manny, Schoop).

The Royals championship is going to put more athletic contact guys in vogue, and might even depress the value of hitters that are the Orioles type.

This. Moneyball is all about zigging when others are zagging. It's not a story of OBP or defense. It's about exploiting markets.

Right now, whether you like it or not, the players the O's typically target are on discount. The cost of OBP and athleticism/defense is through the roof. The O's can exploit this to a degree (like the Astros did last year).

Although it's offset by the fact that bullpen pieces have never been more expensive, and it really seems like Duqette and Buck were ahead of the curve there (stocking a rotation full of 3s and letting your middle and late inning guys do the rest...Royals model also made this too expensive)

Trumbo definitely seems like a Buck kinda guy player. He's a tough guy who wants to play every day even if he's hurt. He'll play wherever you ask (even though he's really just a 1Bman/DH. And he'll battle his way to 30-35 homers. Still, he's not a player you build with, imo.

Trumbo definitely seems like a Buck kinda guy player. He's a tough guy who wants to play every day even if he's hurt. He'll play wherever you ask (even though he's really just a 1Bman/DH. And he'll battle his way to 30-35 homers. Still, he's not a player you build with, imo.

Nope. Mark Reynolds 2.0 with a little less patience and slightly higher average.

Archived