Yeah Hernandez!!!!!!

GotNitro

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LH has had 11 TPA. 2BB's, 3 RBI's. So that's 5 out of 11 productive PA's. Maybe he will become the Trax of hitting. :D

LH is my guy.:) Not only is he superb defensively but so far this season he seems to be the master of the "productive out." He's my hero!:)

Sometime its not about batting average, its about what your batting average is when the game is on the line. LH aint there yet, just had a moment. For clutch,in O's history see Brooks and Eddie for the stars, unknowns D Ford and Belanger, look at the stats all you stat watchers.

Question, how do they hit when the butt tightens up.

Some posters here (SG is one of them) don't seem to understand this, despite watching it actually happen with their own eyes. It is like they have a pre-existing (flawed) view that if the stats say it won't happen then it won't happen. Meanwhile what is happening they apparently wish to ignore because it goes against their pre-conceived notions.:rolleyes:

Some posters here (SG is one of them) don't seem to understand this, despite watching it actually happen with their own eyes. It is like they have a pre-existing (flawed) view that if the stats say it won't happen then it won't happen. Meanwhile what is happening they apparently wish to ignore because it goes against their pre-conceived notions.:rolleyes:

I think you have a fair point here. There is much that statistics don't measure. At the same time, I'm not going to get overly excited just because LH had a well-timed hit and a couple of sac flies. Judgment will come slowly over the course of a long season. Paul Bako had a big hit against the Yankees in the first week of the season last year, but over the course of a long season he proved inadequate. I am rooting for LH to succeed but let's just say I'm not sold yet.

Before we go overboard with the lovefest for LH, let's get a few things straight.

1) People who don't like him aren't ignoring what they see with their own eyes. They are seeing him put up abysmal numbers in minor leagues. The people who love him are using selective vision to see what they want, and to justify what they don't like.

2) Hitting "in the clutch" is usually based on an extremely small sample size, and it doesn't really have much merit. How many ABs do we have for LH with the game on the line in the 7th inning or later?

3) How is the pre-existing opinion flawed? It's "exists" because it's based on his performance and track record. His history shows that he can't hit. He couldn't hit in the minors, and he didn't hit in the pros.

So, what I'm saying is this. Yesterday was terrific. I'm happy for Luis, and he really came through when we needed him. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves and use that ONE GAME to justify him as a starting SS. It was, after all, his FIRST hit of the season. Let's enjoy the win without using a lone hit to anoint him the savior.

Before we go overboard with the lovefest for LH, let's get a few things straight.

1) People who don't like him aren't ignoring what they see with their own eyes. They are seeing him put up abysmal numbers in minor leagues. The people who love him are using selective vision to see what they want, and to justify what they don't like.

2) Hitting "in the clutch" is usually based on an extremely small sample size, and it doesn't really have much merit. How many ABs do we have for LH with the game on the line in the 7th inning or later?

3) How is the pre-existing opinion flawed? It's "exists" because it's based on his performance and track record. His history shows that he can't hit. He couldn't hit in the minors, and he didn't hit in the pros.

So, what I'm saying is this. Yesterday was terrific. I'm happy for Luis, and he really came through when we needed him. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves and use that ONE GAME to justify him as a starting SS. It was, after all, his FIRST hit of the season. Let's enjoy the win without using a lone hit to anoint him the savior.

Hey... I like those that have preached failure, without seeing with their own eyes and ignoring stats too.

I would love to see little Looie defy the odds and become even a for-average hitter, but that would make him a statstical anomoly. It's not that the stats guys are saying it's impossible. It's merely improbable. And I'm quite certain they've pointed that out, ad nauseum. It's not that he's guarunteed to fail based on his minor league numbers, it's that he's predispositioned to fail based on those numbers, and the historical references of players with the similar numbers. There's a very minute, but very distinct, difference between those two assessments.

LOL...Seriously....LH gets one well timed hit and people are going crazy.

He has a 416 OPS!!!!!!!!

LOL...Seriously....LH gets one well timed hit and people are going crazy.

He has a 416 OPS!!!!!!!!

Yes indeed, but he has been productive in 45% of his PA. We ought to have a stat to measure productive plate appearances. Siimilar to the quality start for SP's. IMO a productive plate appearance should be anything more than a 5 pitch AB, a BB, a Sac.,moving the runner, or a base hit.

Be interesting to see how some players would rate.

Hernandez seems to have calmed down defensively and been very good in the field since we moved north from Lauderdale. And he's had some well timed fly balls - Friday - and a huge hit yesterday. But the fact is, we've played 5 games and our starting SS has ONE hit. Now, I don't expect that to continue, but I don't expect him to be one of our RBI leaders over a season, either.

I think he could make a very good, late inning, infield defensive replacement type of utility guy. But, he's not a starting SS, and he can't even be used as a pinch hitter, so over the long term, he's very limited as a major league player. His best quality is that he's the best option available right now. And, as long as he is, I'll root for him and be happy when he does succeed, because that's good for my team. But I won't be sorry if we trade for Lillibridge or Hu, or draft Beckham (either one!).

Until then, go Louie!

Hernandez seems to have calmed down defensively and been very good in the field since we moved north from Lauderdale. And he's had some well timed fly balls - Friday - and a huge hit yesterday. But the fact is, we've played 5 games and our starting SS has ONE hit. Now, I don't expect that to continue, but I don't expect him to be one of our RBI leaders over a season, either.

I think he could make a very good, late inning, infield defensive replacement type of utility guy. But, he's not a starting SS, and he can't even be used as a pinch hitter, so over the long term, he's very limited as a major league player. His best quality is that he's the best option available right now. And, as long as he is, I'll root for him and be happy when he does succeed, because that's good for my team. But I won't be sorry if we trade for Lillibridge or Hu, or draft Beckham (either one!).

Until then, go Louie!

Well said.

Hernandez seems to have calmed down defensively and been very good in the field since we moved north from Lauderdale. And he's had some well timed fly balls - Friday - and a huge hit yesterday. But the fact is, we've played 5 games and our starting SS has ONE hit. Now, I don't expect that to continue, but I don't expect him to be one of our RBI leaders over a season, either.I think he could make a very good, late inning, infield defensive replacement type of utility guy. But, he's not a starting SS, and he can't even be used as a pinch hitter, so over the long term, he's very limited as a major league player. His best quality is that he's the best option available right now. And, as long as he is, I'll root for him and be happy when he does succeed, because that's good for my team. But I won't be sorry if we trade for Lillibridge or Hu, or draft Beckham (either one!).

Until then, go Louie!

Good post. But I'll bet money that Hernandez will have more RBI than Markakis and Roberts combined until at least 3:00 today. :D

I will take one game winning hit and two productive (run scoring outs) any day over a SS who has six non productive hits over 5 games and is hitting 300. This isn't fantasy league baseball this is the real thing where the idea is winning games which is what the team has shown a propensity to do with LH as their starting SS. Maybe that is upsetting to some here but for the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would be upset at winning regardless of what offensive stats LH is putting up. The lad is a "winner."

I will take one game winning hit and two productive (run scoring outs) any day over a SS who has six non productive hits over 5 games and is hitting 300. This isn't fantasy league baseball this is the real thing where the idea is winning games which is what the team has shown a propensity to do with LH as their starting SS. Maybe that is upsetting to some here but for the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would be upset at winning regardless of what offensive stats LH is putting up. The lad is a "winner."

So would I if "getting a hit and two productive (run scoring outs) while getting out in all non-productive situations" was a repeatable skill.

How has he proven to be a winner? He has 1 game winning hit. What else has he won? Ever? Awards? Titles? Pine wood derby competitions?

Archived