Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

This is the second offseason (I'm including Hardy) in a row where it looks like Dan is making an attempt to retain as much as the "core" as he can.

He needs to realize that the "core" needed a late push against teams with little to play for to even get to .500 last year.

We are in for a great view of a cast of aging fan favorites in decline.

If we can trade Trumbo for Markakis and Johnson.Perhaps get Cruz at midseason.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton isn't getting traded and it doesn't make the sense you or I want it to. This is as much about PR as anything else. This is the one significant FA the O's don't have to spend big dollars (relative to the others) to keep. This was the only one they could afford to keep. No significant FA will be signed for the rotation or the outfield. Duquette has already acted shocked at the FA prices. If a Kazmir or Chen is left standing with no market left, we might swoop in for the Ubaldo type contract. Otherwise look for the Matt Latos type (not against it) on a one year make good contract, some more garbage picking (Alvarez or Carter) and some more AAAA signings.

If O's sign Gallardo, Down to two QO comp picks, a competitive balance pick, and the comp for the failed signing last year.

How is 4/28 that much different than 4/31?

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

It's a bit of an overpay. We will see if there is going to be a lot more fence riding. Do they sign Davis? Do they add a SP? If not, do they trade Britton? If the answer to all of these questions is no, we still have no direction.

I'm afraid this is the signing of a hometown favorite to stem the disappointment when they don't resign Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remarkable. The O's sign the guy who was universally considered the best reliever on the market and it's still 75 percent negativity.

Many of you complaining are the same people who routinely harp on the fact we won't spend money, and who were also critical of our failure to resign Miller last year. Remarkable indeed.

I'm afraid this is the signing of a hometown favorite to stem the disappointment when they don't resign Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devil's advocate -- couldn't Davis also be called a hometown favorite? He's had more disappointing seasons in his tenure in Baltimore (one) than O'Day in his (zero).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The history of four-year contracts for non-closing RPs is short and ignominious: Scott Linebrink, Justin Speier, Steve Karsay, Paul Shuey.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You have to think Buck pushed for this and I'm return ODay was willing to give a "Buck" discount.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/NestorAparicio">@NestorAparicio</a> Orioles could sign Kershaw for one dollar and you'd say it was a horrible signing you frost-tipped swine</p>— Drunk Gary Thorne (@DrunkGaryThorne) <a href="

Remarkable. The O's sign the guy who was universally considered the best reliever on the market and it's still 75 percent negativity.

Many of you complaining are the same people who routinely harp on the fact we won't spend money, and who were also critical of our failure to resign Miller last year. Remarkable indeed.

I'd love to see you go ahead and prove that statement.

I don't think it is the same people at all.

I doubt that anyone who wanted the O's to sign Miller is against the O'Day extension.

I think most of us that are against the O'Day deal are influenced by the fact that we know the Orioles have budget limitations.

But feel free to bring up some quotes that prove me wrong.

I suggest you don't waste time going through mine.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The history of four-year contracts for non-closing RPs is short and ignominious: Scott Linebrink, Justin Speier, Steve Karsay, Paul Shuey.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

Expect that list to grow considerably as MLB continues to evolve.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/NestorAparicio">@NestorAparicio</a> Orioles could sign Kershaw for one dollar and you'd say it was a horrible signing you frost-tipped swine</p>— Drunk Gary Thorne (@DrunkGaryThorne) <a href="

If only that really was a drunk Gary Thorne.

I'd love to see you go ahead and prove that statement.

I don't think it is the same people at all.

I doubt that anyone who wanted the O's to sign Miller is against the O'Day extension.

I think most of us that are against the O'Day deal are influenced by the fact that we know the Orioles have budget limitations.

But feel free to bring up some quotes that prove me wrong.

I suggest you don't waste time going through mine.

More entertaining exercise -- go back and see how many who defended FO in NOT signing Miller will now defend FO in signing O'Day.

Obviously I'm not a fan of spending limited resources on either.

Archived