Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dodgers are still in the hunt for relief, trade partners for Britton.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ryan Madson has agreed to a 3-yr, $22M deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> pending physical, source says.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't count Wieters. He wasn't a true free agent. When was the last time that the Orioles had a big time free that anyone could sign and the Orioles actually resigned him. It has been atleast 15 or 20 years since this happened. Someone please look it up.

He was a true free agent.

He could have signed with another team.

Considering that the O's (and most other teams) extend their players before they hit free agency I am not sure what the point of this exercise even is. O'Day (twice), Jones, Roberts, Hardy (twice), Markakis, Mora the O's have extended players before they hit FA.

Givens should be better than Brach but how many games better, Tony? Come on. Hardy needs surgery and isn't going to get it on his shoulder. His back could act up at any time. Two years in a row with no power. He's done as an offensive force. Power was the only thing he brought to the table. Let's hope the defense doesn't start to slip. Jones had pretty close to a normal Jones year. Yes, there are time for some good low cost moves but the best outcome is to put a team that is still a cut below last year's on paper. I'm skeptical that the Orioles will even be real placers on the Kazmir types of starting pitching. Get used to seeing Vance Worley's name penciled in every 5th day.

Hardy is completely done as an significant offensive contributor. If the last two seasons haven't proven that, I don't know what will. He's not getting any younger and his back and shoulder aren't magically going to heal themselves.

It seems like there are six or seven closers or closer like guys on the market.Seems to me could be a buyers market.Maybe now is not the time to trade him.

You may be right. But then the O's should try Britton at SP this spring. They have nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Even if they sign a FA starter, they should still throw Britton into the SP mix during ST. Gonzo, Tillman, and Ubaldo could use the competition.

4 years and $36 million for Andrew Miller? That's stupid. Have fun with that contract when Miller's 32-33, Yankees. Ya stupids.

4 years and $31 million for an already 33 year old O'Day? That's...uh...hooray? Something?

That cracks me up.

When is the last time the Orioles traded a player at peak value?

Raise your hand if you think this move is a prelude to a Britton trade? Then sit down and think about it.

Jim Johnson was not quite peak value but could be a precedent. He was coming off back to back 50 save season and regarded as a solid closer. Only one year of control and more expensive at the time, but then again Britton's true peak value would have been last year.

I don't think DD would sell Britton as a salary dump, and would not want him to, but he would have to consider an AJ Reed type of player coming back. Power, OBP, lefty in a position we need.

Let's not get a 31M contract confused with "big time free agent". O'Day has been great but please!

Agree, although for a reliever, he was a big time free agent. And he was a pitcher that pretty much every team in baseball would want, although obviously the situation with his wife was a major factor in him coming back.

To me, O'Day has been a huge reason why the Orioles have turned things around in the last four years. I'm glad he's coming back.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don't think it's anything close to 90%.  As of June the brand recognition of the cereal was under 90%. If you have two pretty similar nicknames isn't it just common sense to go with the one that isn't the street name of a drug? And for the record all I was doing was giving a personal preference.  I never said anyone couldn't do whatever the heck they wanted.
    • This is the story, or part of the story, of the last two Orioles' seasons: trying to balance winning games and reaching the postseason (and, last year and and for a long time this year, a division title) with building for the future. However you balance those two, there is a risk of harming the team. The way the Orioles have been and are being built, relying on a bunch of young position players to blossom at around the same time, enhanced that risk. Sometimes these two objectives line up pretty well, after weakening the team for a short time, as they did with Westburg, Henderson and Rutschman, and to a lesser degree Cowser. Sometimes the objectives don't fit together very well, as has been the case with Holliday and Mayo. The possibility of that misfit was, and is, inherent in the way this team was built. Maybe the harm to the team's overall performance from playing the young guys could have been reduced by better coaching or more effective communication with the coaches, but there was really no way for this team to avoid the problem.
    • He's always looked calm and capable in his mlb at-bats. Let's the ball come to him, as they say. Am optimistic.
    • Position Players: 2023: 105 wRC+, 16.0 BsR, 54.9 Off, -26.3 Def, 23.8 WAR   2024: 113 wRC+, 1.2 BsR, 90.8 Off, -26.1 Def, 27.0 WAR   The 2023 batters had a clutch score of 8.39. That number is -1.35 this season. The 2023 batters had an xwOBA of .319 (15th). That number is .328 this season (6th). The RISP was also much better last year (as we all know). Not only did they hit for a much higher average (.287 versus .246 this year), but their ISO with RISP jumped up to .195 (it was .166 in all situations).    The defense is about as valuable as last year even though they seem much less reliable. Gunnar has been more valuable defensively according to Fangraphs, the catchers have been worse, Westburg and Mullins have been slightly worse, but Frazier was awful last year at 2B (as was Hicks in the OF) and removing him while adding an elite defender in Cowser puts them about even to last year. The base running is nowhere near as good.   The pitching is slightly worse than last year (18.3 WAR and 3.91 ERA last year, 16.5 WAR and 3.93 ERA this year) but they’ve also had a ton of innings soaked up (mostly due to injuries) by guys that aren’t going to pitch for them in the playoffs. Last year, the below group threw 259 innings and gave up 159 ER’s (5.53 ERA):   Vespi, Irvin, Zimmerman, Fuji, Voth, Lopez, Gillaspie, Flaherty, Akin, Garrett, Givens, Bazardo, McKenna   This year, from they have gotten 366.1 IP from the below group, while giving up 229 ER’s (5.63 ERA):   Vieira, McCann, Krook, Heasley, Rogers, McDermott, Ramirez. Wells, Smith, Povich, Kimbrel, Irvin, Tate, Baker    That means that the rest of the pitching staff in 2023 (besides the above group) threw 1194.2 IP, giving up 472 ER for a 3.55 ERA. In 2024 besides the above group, the rest of the staff has combined for 1022.2 IP, giving up 378 ER for a 3.33 ERA. The 2023 pitching staff had a 6.03 clutch score and a 73.5 LOB%. In 2024, those numbers are -0.93 and 71.4 %. The 2023 pitchers had an xwOBA of .317 (15th). That number is .310 this season (T-9th).    In the offseason, a lot of people were saying this team might be better than last year but finish with a worse record. As frustrating as the last 3 months have been, you could easily make that case. The offense has been better overall, but much worse with RISP and less clutch. The core pitching group has arguably been as good as last year’s, they just had a lot more injuries and innings thrown by fringe guys that won’t be pitching in the playoffs. FWIW, Texas was one of the least clutch teams in the regular season last year and then were unsurprisingly the most clutch team in the playoffs. The Orioles followed up their extremely clutch regular season by being the 2nd least clutch pitching team (only PHI was worse and they played an extra 2 series) and 3rd least clutch batting team (only PHI and MIN were worse - MIN played an extra series as well).    So TLDR. They have arguably been a better team than last year that has dealt with many more injuries, had a lot more PA’s and IP’s from worse players due to those injuries, and have been extremely unclutch. Some of that might be luck, some of it might be skill, but it could change at any time. 
    • And sorta boring, like this thread.
    • Even if they make the playoffs, Bautista isn't going to make it back in time. I do think the O's can't go into next season assuming Bautista is going to be healthy or effective. They really need to acquire a couple bullpen arms and not keep getting folks off the scrap heap. And they can't rely on Soto or even Seranthony to have a key part of the pen. I think Elias has tremendously struck out with anything and everything Phillies bullpen pieces (Kimbrel, Soto, Seranthony). Seranthony has a 0.3 WAR in 22 games, Soto -0.2 in nearly all low leverage situations, and Kimbrel with a -1.1. And the O's are out double digit millions, Seth Johnson, Moises Chace, Austin Hays for what amounts to negative value across the 3 of them. That's...not great.  Could things change in 2025 w/ Seranthony and Soto? Sure! I mean, Seranthony looks decent, but Soto is a situational arm who can be downright dominant or otherworldly incompetent. But Elias can not go into 2025 without picking up 2 reliable bullpen arms. 
    • This post would have been worthy of its own thread.  If I can just augment this, last year’s team was 0.36 runs/game better than average on offense, and 0.43 better than average on run prevention.   This year’s team is 0.40 better than average  on offense, but only 0.21 better on run prevention.  So, the offense actually has been a little better than last year’s relative to the league, while run prevention has been worse.   However, the offense has been very problematic the last 5 weeks or so.    As to bullpen regression, Bautista (10 ER in 61.0 IP) vs. Kimbrel (31 ER in 52.1 IP) explains about 2/3 of the regression all by itself.     
  • Popular Contributors