Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to see the post where I suggested Ubado was in the same universe as Felix. I believe all I said was that he can sometimes be great, and if anyone has ever seen Ubaldo or taken 15 seconds to peruse his bb-ref page you'd conclude that wasn't something he was doing all time, or anything like that.

I was referring to Weams' statement that my description of Ubaldo works for Felix Hernandez too.

I was referring to Weams' statement that my description of Ubaldo works for Felix Hernandez too.

Pretty much every starting pitcher in the majors is capable of having a dominant start now and then. I'm sure one could come up with some back of the envelope method for measuring the consistency of a starting pitcher. But for example, Ubaldo had three games last year with game scores over 80 and one of 72. King Felix also had three games in the 80's but he also had 9 games in the 70's. Chen, who had a much better overall year than Ubaldo, had only one game in the 80's and two in the 70's.

Pretty much every starting pitcher in the majors is capable of having a dominant start now and then. I'm sure one could come up with some back of the envelope method for measuring the consistency of a starting pitcher. But for example, Ubaldo had three games last year with game scores over 80 and one of 72. King Felix also had three games in the 80's but he also had 9 games in the 70's. Chen, who had a much better overall year than Ubaldo, had only one game in the 80's and two in the 70's.

Thanks; good thoughts. I'm all for rah rah -- just couldn't help myself when we got to the point where we were saying Ubaldo is similar to Felix and he's essentially an averagish pitcher that can also be occasionally dominant. Here's hoping for a Felixian 2016!~

Thanks; good thoughts. I'm all for rah rah -- just couldn't help myself when we got to the point where we were saying Ubaldo is similar to Felix and he's essentially an averagish pitcher that can also be occasionally dominant. Here's hoping for a Felixian 2016!~

Not sure a 2.7 WAR for last season, makes him averagish.

Granted, he doesn't belong in King Felix's court.

Ubaldo is one of the more interesting starters to watch that I've ever seen. While it is inevitably about wins and losses, from a fan interest standpoint I'd much rather watch Ubaldo pitch than Chen. The worst was Norris for me. Methodical to the point of being slow, bull headed, had like 2 ways to work a batter total, ugh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watching Ubaldo when he's on is fun. Watching him when he's off is not fun. I prefer watching a guy like Chen who rarely takes you out of a game.

Ubaldo is interesting. I like that.

Watching Chen bored the pants off me. Basically, he won individual battles if he got the fastball on the hands and occasionally on a slider. Watching that 100 times a game isn't very interesting to me.

I like to watch good battles and interesting sequences.

As I pointed out clearly in my first post, wins are what ultimately matter so I'd rather Chen pitch for my team than Ubaldo. But I'd still much rather watch Ubaldo pitch. Skipping a Chen game or not focusing on it was easy. You never knew what you were going to see with Ubaldo so I didn't want to miss it. Watching Davis hit is similar to me although I do love watching a guy who really consistently barreled up the ball to appropriate spot on the field like Nick at his best or Gwynn.

Don't confuse comfort with interest. Chen is comfortable. Ubaldo is interesting. At least IMO.

How do you experience:

1. Gausman

2. Harvey

3. Grienke

4. Price

5. Nola

6. Darvish

Thanks

Darvish is awesome to watch. Greinke is also great. These two would be very near the top of the list for me.

Harvey I haven't seen enough to say with authority, but the few starts I've seen were a lot of fun to watch.

Price isn't bad to watch, but I always think he gets less out of his talent than he should. He should be almost unhittable. I'm not quite sure why, but I think it is that he doesn't have a lot of imagination when he pitches so he is easier to predict. It could also be that his release point or motion has enough variation from pitch-to-pitch that the best hitters pick something up.

Gausman is getting better but his feel for sequences definitely isn't great. He also likes his splitter too much and his straighter change too little IMO. I personally believe his offspeed pitch really tightened up last year and that he needs to use it more now, especially against righties. I think he is on his way to being a good but not #1 starter, but I don't think his feel / imagination will ever be top notch.

I can't figure out who Nola is but I'm sure I'm just being dense.

Nola is young Phillies arm. Command arm with lots of wiggle to his stuff. Low slot. Former first rounder.

Buck said before on a few occasions, that something that Dan recognizes that Buck values, is a tight clubhouse, and DD takes that into consideration when looking at possible pieces.

What is the WAR for having a tight clubhouse?

Archived