1st and Comp Round Draft Order Tracker

mdbdotcom

Here is where the draft order stands now (12/08 7:50 a.m.). So far, five players who denied QOs have been signed. One was signed by the Tigers, whose first round pick is protected. So, four teams have give up their first round pick so far, including the Diamondbacks, who were slated to draft ahead of the O's. Currently, the O's stand to pick 14th, 31st, and 32nd. 11 more free agents with QOs remain, so it is likely that the O's position will improve (especially in the compensation round) as the first round continues to shrink. Here's the current order.

1. Philadelphia Phillies

2. Cincinnati Reds

3. Atlanta Braves

4. Oakland Athletics

5. Milwaukee Brewers

6. Colorado Rockies

7. Miami Marlins

8. San Diego Padres

9. Detroit Tigers

10. Seattle Mariners

11. Chicago White Sox

12. Boston Red Sox

13. Tampa Bay Rays

14. Baltimore Orioles

15. Cleveland Indians

16. Minnesota Twins

17. Washington Nationals

18. Los Angeles Angels

19. Houston Astros

20. New York Yankees

21. Texas Rangers

22. New York Mets

23. Toronto Blue Jays

24. Kansas City Royals

25. Pittsburgh Pirates

26. St. Louis Cardinals

Potential compensation round (bold indicates earned picks)

27. San Diego Padres

28. San Diego Padres

29. Seattle Mariners (Iwakuma)

30. Chicago White Sox (Samardzija)

31. Baltimore Orioles

32. Baltimore Orioles

33. Washington Nationals (Zimmermann)

34. Washington Nationals

35. Los Angeles Angels

36. Texas Rangers

37. New York Mets

38. Los Angeles Dodgers (Greinke)

39. Kansas City Royals

40. Chicago Cubs

41. St. Louis Cardinals (Lackey)

42. St. Louis Cardinals

Remaining FA w/QO

Chen (O?s)

Davis (O?s)

Desmond (Nats)

Fowler (Cubs)

Gallardo (Rangers)

Gordon (Royals)

Heyward (Cards)

Kendrick (Dodgers)

Kennedy (Padres)

Murphy (Mets)

Upton (Padres)

I will update this each day new signings occur. Let me know when I make mistakes so I can fix them.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pick number 14 is seldom much a difference maker. Going back in history, Jason Heyward in 2007 was notable. Former Oriole disaster Travis Snider was taken at 14.

Other notables: O's took a pitcher named Beau Hale who couldn't stay healthy.

Jeff Weaver and Billy Butler made contributions at the MLB level. Jason Varitek was ok, as were Derek Lee and Cliff Floyd. Tino Martinez was good (although steroid era players should get an asterisk). Chris Carpenter was probably the best pitcher taken at this slot. Lee Mazilli was 14.

And one of my Oriole favorites, Scott MacGregor was taken at #14.

That spans the past 50 years of MLB drafts. All told, thats 10 MLB regulars out of 50. (I could throw in Ron Karkovice and make it 11).

And the odds get worse as you move down in the draft order...

Good thread. I was kind of doing my own on just paper but it will be easier with everyone's help around here. But keep in mind that we have 3 second round picks too. As of now those stand at 55, 69(Hughes), and somewhere around 75 for our comp pick B. Then for fun around 90 in the 3rd rd. I'm hoping we keep Davis. So we'd then be looking at

That's how you restock the farm. Picks and making the draft pool money bigger.

Stockpiling picks does not help like it does in other sports. Do you guys think this will really help the organization? Statistically, guys taken after the top 10 players in the entire draft rarely ever even make it to the show, let alone become stars. Oooohhh goody! We have 6 picks!

If just one of them makes it to the majors that would be considered good.

To support my post, remember the draft haul of 1999 that was supposed to restock our farm and spring us to success? We had 7 of the top 50 picks! Our "haul" consisted of Richard Stahl, Mike Paradis, Keith Reed, Larry Bibbie, Scott Rice, Joshua Cenate and Brian Roberts.

I just threw up in my mouth a bit....

Go ahead. Flame away if you want. The only way to use the draft to rebuild your team is to stink so horribly for so long, that you pick in the top 5 for several years in a row- see Houston, Kansas City. Adding a few elite international amateurs like Vladamir Guerrero Jr, Yoan Moncada, or Miguel Sano wouldn't hurt. But picking in the 15-50 range and adding marginal international talent (Urrutia, Alvarez) won't get it done.

You can always dream of landing a Mike Trout (25th pick overall.) "Catching lightning in a bottle" seems to be our fundamental strategy. I find it to be a poor one.

Awesome post and helps answer a lot. One thing I would request would be showing the teams in their original position, with maybe a strikethrough, or italic font to show they lost their pick by signing a QO. That way we could see what that team lost by signing a pick, like the DBacks.

Awesome post and helps answer a lot. One thing I would request would be showing the teams in their original position, with maybe a strikethrough, or italic font to show they lost their pick by signing a QO. That way we could see what that team lost by signing a pick, like the DBacks.

A good thought, but strikethrough is not an option I see here. Besides, I don't have editing privileges, so I'm not going to get too fancy.

Stockpiling picks does not help like it does in other sports. Do you guys think this will really help the organization? Statistically, guys taken after the top 10 players in the entire draft rarely ever even make it to the show, let alone become stars. Oooohhh goody! We have 6 picks!

If just one of them makes it to the majors that would be considered good.

To support my post, remember the draft haul of 1999 that was supposed to restock our farm and spring us to success? We had 7 of the top 50 picks! Our "haul" consisted of Richard Stahl, Mike Paradis, Keith Reed, Larry Bibbie, Scott Rice, Joshua Cenate and Brian Roberts.

I just threw up in my mouth a bit....

Go ahead. Flame away if you want. The only way to use the draft to rebuild your team is to stink so horribly for so long, that you pick in the top 5 for several years in a row- see Houston, Kansas City. Adding a few elite international amateurs like Vladamir Guerrero Jr, Yoan Moncada, or Miguel Sano wouldn't hurt. But picking in the 15-50 range and adding marginal international talent (Urrutia, Alvarez) won't get it done.

You can always dream of landing a Mike Trout (25th pick overall.) "Catching lightning in a bottle" seems to be our fundamental strategy. I find it to be a poor one.

Is it flaming if we just point out all the factual errors in your posts? For one, there are probably 300 active MLB players who were drafted from pick #11 through the end of the draft, while you say "guys taken after the top 10 players in the entire draft rarely ever even make it to the show." That's factually wrong. Here are where some 2015 Orioles were taken: Tillman 49th, Britton 85th, O'Day 15th, Brach 1275th, Givens 54th, Gonzalez 18th, Hunter 54th, C. Davis 148th, Jones 37th, Reimold 61st, Pearce 241st, Snider 14th, Hardy 56th. You would have been more accurate to say "most of all MLB rosters are comprised of players taken after the 10th overall pick."

Archived