O's met with Justin Upton's Agency (Reynolds Sports--Brother of Harold Reynolds)

Sir_Loin

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be on the other side here please no Justin Upton we think Davis was streaky Upton will but his numbers to shame atleast Davis would hit a big fly here and there. Upton goes up and down for long stretches.

In terms of production, who would you rather have? Crush/Hoes, Trumbo/Upton? I know its no where near given that Hoes is our starting LF but as of right now thats what we got.

In terms of production, who would you rather have? Crush/Hoes, Trumbo/Upton? I know its no where near given that Hoes is our starting LF but as of right now thats what we got.

Not a fair comparison. Trumbo will be starting regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Upton. He's a great bounce back candidate. Even though he's going to get 20 million a year, I still feel like there is a lot of value there because of his down year. I'm ok with the drop in the pick about 15 places or so. My concern is that Boras would then steer Pedro Alvarez away from us, because of the Davis situation. Then getting a vet LH OF that can lead off would be nice. This would be a pretty awesome lineup;

1. Will Venable L LF OR Murphy, Dejesus, Nava, K.Johnson, De Aza, Sizemore,

2. Manny Machado R 3B

3. Adam Jones CF R

4. Justin Upton RF R

5. MW C S

6. Trumbo 1B R

7. P.Alvarez DH L

8. Schoop 2B R

9. Hardy SS R

Bench:

Joseph C R

Flaherty Util L

Reimold OF R

Hoes vs Paredes

I know last year was a down year for Upton but his splits go up and down all the time.

Last season vs lefties .191/.258/.300/.558. Is that Ceaser Izturus with that OPS hitting.

April .250/.299/.543.842 6 homers

May .343/.418/.546/.964

June .196/.319/.289/.608 How in the world can you slug less then your OBP

July .162/.213/.338/.551 They should have let the pitcher hit for him

Aug .270//.373/.550/.923

Sep .239/.337/.420/.757

I guess he can help the team two months of the season not sure what to do the rest of the year.

Over the last three seasons which is 18 full months Upton has ops'd under .650 6 times during a month which is 2 each season. Davis has done that once even with how bad hewas in 2014. I guess we better hope the other 4 months are going to be great because we will get two god awful ones.

Absolutely but the Baltimore fans have come to love and admire Davis and his prolific HR. Emotions aside, Upton is the best value here and probably the best value free agent on the market.

Davis-very streaky, one year removed from a sub .200 average

Heyward-value is tied up in defense and speed which don't age well, isn't a consistent 20 HR/100 RBI guy

Cespedes-doesn't get on base much, first year he hit 30 HR, already 29, low OBP doesn't bode well for someone who just had a career year

Upton-gets on base 35% of the time, improving defense, only 28, can steal 20 bases and hit 30 HR here in Camden.

Heyward- gets on base 35% of the time, doesn't need to improve defense because he is the best, only 26, can steal 20 bases and hit 20 HR here in Camden. He does everything as well as Upton, except he won't hit as many HRs. I also think Heyward can hit with more power than he has the last two years.

You are acting like Heyward is a defense only guy. Please compare Heyward to Upton again. Yes, Upton does get more HRs. Upton is about 26 HRs per 162 games and Heyward is about 19 HRs per 162 games. This also gives Upton more RBIs. Besides that, they are nearly identical in runs, SBs, walks, Avg, and OBP. oWar is about the same. So Upton has a little more power, but other than that, they are almost identical hitters.

You are also not mentioning that Heyward is only 26 years old. Upton is 28. At the end of a 6 year contract, Heyward would be 32 years old, so what is not to "age well" in the next 6 years. I would be more concerned if Heyward were 32 and signing a 6 year contract, but the guy is only 26. I would take Heyward on an 8 year contract. He would be 34 at the end of the contract.

I would go with Heyward. I think offensively, they will be very similar, but Heyward plays much better defense.

Heyward- gets on base 35% of the time, doesn't need to improve defense because he is the best, only 26, can steal 20 bases and hit 20 HR here in Camden. He does everything as well as Upton, except he won't hit as many HRs. I also think Heyward can hit with more power than he has the last two years.

You are acting like Heyward is a defense only guy. Please compare Heyward to Upton again. Yes, Upton does get more HRs. Upton is about 26 HRs per 162 games and Heyward is about 19 HRs per 162 games. This also gives Upton more RBIs. Besides that, they are nearly identical in runs, SBs, walks, Avg, and OBP. oWar is about the same. So Upton has a little more power, but other than that, they are almost identical hitters.

You are also not mentioning that Heyward is only 26 years old. Upton is 28. At the end of a 6 year contract, Heyward would be 32 years old, so what is not to "age well" in the next 6 years. I would be more concerned if Heyward were 32 and signing a 6 year contract, but the guy is only 26. I would take Heyward on an 8 year contract. He would be 34 at the end of the contract.

I would go with Heyward. I think offensively, they will be very similar, but Heyward plays much better defense.

I agree, well said. Rep to you.

You're forgetting the most important aspect of all this. Money. Heyward is said to be looking for 10 years/200 mill. Crush and Upton are around that same price range, hence the Crush vs Upton debate.

For the prices being thrown around everything considered I think I'm at Upton>Gordon>Heyward>Davis>Cespedes if we are going to drop big money.

Upton at 7/140 seems the less likely to cripple us down the line. As others have said, the guy has been pretty consistent over his career. Not unreasonable to expect an .850ish OPS with 28-35 homeruns in Camden Yards plus solid defense over most of the length of his contract.

Also had 19 steals. That would have been 2nd on the team behind Machado's 20. No one else had over 5.

With our offensive composition, the Orioles don't steal much. Our OBP is low, and you don't want to erase the base runners you do get. Also outside of a handful of players, or success percentage isn't high enough to be worth it.

Archived