The 2016-18 "Window"

Frobby

Dan and Buck are under contracts that expire after the 2018 season.

Manny is under contract through the 2018 season.

So is Jones.

So is Britton (subject to arbitration).

Hardy is under contract through 2017 with a 2018 option.

O'Day is signed through 2019.

Schoop is under control through 2019.

Joseph is under control though 2020.

So is Gausman.

Now we've put $150 mm out there for Davis.

It really seems like Dan and Buck are pushing their chips to the middle of the table. What happens after 2018 doesn't have to be their concern, unless they want it to be.

And Tillman, Jimenez, and Gonzalez are all FAs after the 2017 season as well.

We've had a lot of the same core for a while now but fast forward five years and this could be a totally different roster. I think we have a good chance of remaining contenders for the remainder of the Dan/Buck contracts, even though it's pretty likely that 2014 winds up the best year of their tenure.

My only question is whether or not PA is only stretching the budget for Davis. If he walks, or the O's walk, that money, in the range of 20 million a year would be nice to apply to one or more other players that can make the most of this window.

-Don

it seems that J. Upton is a serious fallback option. I dont think they will sink 150 million if they miss out on davis but i could see them spending 120 or so, on a big time OF

Manny is gone. Our best hope is that we hit big this draft. Well actually we have to. Jones will retire an Oriole. This is where we really need Bundy and Harvey to just turn into MLB SP's.

I doubt Jones will be an Oriole for the entire rest of his career. I wouldn't rule out that he would stay past his current contract because he certainly has a home here with the team. But it's likely there will come a time where he's good enough to stay in the majors but old enough/declining enough that the Orioles don't want to be the team that pays him.

Archived