Davis' Mystery Team is ....Nationals? Tigers?

weams

I agree but it's curious that both the Braves and Reds have gone that way pretty quickly. Reds won 90 games and the Braves 96, in 2013. The Braves started the rebuild after the 2014 season when they won 79 games. The Reds appear to be going that route this year after 76 and 64 win seasons.

I'd say the Braves got to it quite quickly, the Reds a little less so. As to the Braves, their impending move to a new ballpark probably motivated them so that they could try to be competitive in 2017 when it opens.

I hope the O's will get to it quickly if 2016 isn't going well, but I can't really blame them for not doing it yet.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a Peter Angelos negotiation. Somehow, I don't think he asked for or took Dan Duquette's advice on what was a fair offer.

So, what stopped him from doing 130, 140, 5, 6, 7 years. It would be stupid of PA to do this without someone's advice, and think what you want, but PA is not stupid. Unless you have some serious inside info, you are using conjecture, not fact.

So, what stopped him from doing 130, 140, 5, 6, 7 years. It would be stupid of PA to do this without someone's advice, and think what you want, but PA is not stupid. Unless you have some serious inside info, you are using conjecture, not fact.
They probably determined that the 7/150 M was the maximum the market could go for him. Pretty sure PA didn't just pull that figure out of his service entrance. PA is not a reckless business man, if the team couldn't absorb that figure he wouldn't have offered it.

I think he'll sign with the O's for 7/154 because there are no other serious bidders. I think Upton and/or Cespedes sign for much less, indicating that Angelo's severely misjudged the market and got taken to the cleaners by Boras. You didn't ask a question but you acknowledged that the current offer could be a win for Boras. I agree.

In turn, you acknowledged "after the dust settles," what you're calling Angelos' offer could be "more reasonable in context." If that is the case, then it's certainly not a "win" for Boras. I will answer the question I posed to you. The Orioles will not pay Davis more than what was already offered.

They probably determined that the 7/150 M was the maximum the market could go for him. Pretty sure PA didn't just pull that figure out of his service entrance. PA is not a reckless business man, if the team couldn't absorb that figure he wouldn't have offered it.

I tend to agree with this. PA's offer has pretty much dried out any interest from other teams.

I tend to agree with this. PA's offer has pretty much dried out any interest from other teams.

I posed this question before and will do it again because I did not get a response. What is Chris waiting for if no other teams are showing interest? Why is he not back at the table with us trying to get the 7/150 deal? Could it be that the original offer truly is no longer on the table. The conventional wisdom around here is that Chris is going to come back and get the contract that was originally offered. Something else is going on. I'm not sold that we are waiting around for Chris to decide.

I posed this question before and will do it again because I did not get a response. What is Chris waiting for if no other teams are showing interest? Why is he not back at the table with us trying to get the 7/150 deal? Could it be that the original offer truly is no longer on the table. The conventional wisdom around here is that Chris is going to come back and get the contract that was originally offered. Something else is going on. I'm not sold that we are waiting around for Chris to decide.
If they weren't waiting around we would have made someone an offer by now. We are most likely waiting for Upton's/Cespedes' price to come down to where PA will authorize an offer or waiting for CD to accept the 150M. From Boras' point of view he is trying to persuade an other owner to top the 150 or give a lesser offer at a higher AAV, with a one year buyout. They are playing chicken, IMO.

If they weren't waiting around we would have made someone an offer by now. We are most likely waiting for Upton's/Cespedes' price to come down to where PA will authorize an offer or waiting for CD to accept the 150M. From Boras' point of view he is trying to persuade an other owner to top the 150 or give a lesser offer at a higher AAV, with a one year buyout. They are playing chicken, IMO.

I think it's possible that we are waiting on Upton's/Cespedes' price to come down or will complete a trade for an OFer. I just can't imagine us giving Chris 7/150 when there are no other offers out there. Doesn't jibe with Pete's penny pinching ways and Duquette has to see that it is a bad contract/overpay given how the market has played out.

The Orioles have specific identifiable needs and there are a limited number of available FA's that meet them. Every one that signs elsewhere increases CD's leverage. Also GM's (meaning owners) sometimes change their minds and budget that previously wasn't there magically appears overnight in response to some move made by a division rival. Also the O's trade options are somewhat limited due to the current condition of the farm. That's my guess at the basic thought process

I also wouldn't be surprised if that there was something else going on that's not apparent.

If they're not waiting around for Chris to decide, then PA, DD and the rest need to get of their collective asses and make something happen, otherwise why wouldn't CD take his sweet time keeping his options open? Assuming, of course, he has any options at the moment.

The quote just before it is kind of interesting as well. It really seems Buck is clearly ready to either move on or resolve this standoff.

"How much is enough?" Showalter said to the crowd that showed up for a series of presentations by high-profile achievers. "I said to Chris last season, 'Chris, when you walk into a Target store, can you buy anything you want? Well, how much is enough?'""

Good article. By the way' date=' I had a dream that he signed with Texas last night.[/quote']

I had a dream the other night where the Ravens chose a placekicker and punter with the first two picks of the draft.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The quote just before it is kind of interesting as well. It really seems Buck is clearly ready to either move on or resolve this standoff.

"How much is enough?" Showalter said to the crowd that showed up for a series of presentations by high-profile achievers. "I said to Chris last season, 'Chris, when you walk into a Target store, can you buy anything you want? Well, how much is enough?'""

I'm sure Buck wants his roster finalized.

Archived