Wei-Yin Chen to the Marlins (5 yrs - $80M)

Bahama O's Fan

Yeah, but this isn't a bad opt-out for the team. He is making below market rates for the pre opt-out years, so the only way he exercises it is if he becomes one of the top pitchers in the league and the Marlins still got a great deal of 2/$20M for what would have to be two great years. I can't see him doing better than 3/$60M 2 years from now unless he starts accruing some Cy Young votes.

The opt-out that people complain about is when players are making fair market value and then opt out. Every team in the Majors would be in on Chen for 2/$20M. Not necessarily so for a player making 8/$160M with an opt out after 4 years and 4/$80M remaining.

Oh I agree. This is a back-loaded contract with lipstick.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strictly a "show me the money" deal. I went to Marlins Park this year- what a terrible baseball park and an awful place in terms of fan spirit, attendance- 3rd lowest in all MLB in 2015. It was like being in a large Chuck E. Cheese videogame parlor. Good luck to Chen. Hope he does well.

Doing the Marlins.

In Dave Cameron's quick writeup, he says structure of 5/80 is 10/10/20/20/20. So reduced opt-out value to Chen, who would be walking away from 3/60 if he uses it.

So why couldn't the Orioles make that deal? 5/80 sounds reasonable. He was a good pitcher, 62 starts over 2 years with a 3.44 ERA.

Who replace his 31 starts an 191 innings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So why couldn't the Orioles make that deal? 5/80 sounds reasonable. He was a good pitcher, 62 starts over 2 years with a 3.44 ERA.

Don't worry. They'll eventually find a couple retreads.

This is not nearly as good a player deal as the AAV would indicate.

I think Chen didn't get the offer on the west coast he wanted so he took an opt out deal if he thinks he can get it later. 10/10 up front was the price he had to pay to get himself a get out of Miami free card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you would have overpaid for him? You said he was worth 15M in another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived