Orioles and Rockies engaged in " ongoing trade talks " on Colorado outfielders

xian4

If Duquette trades Gausman or Harvey for Carlos Gonzalez, he should be fired on the spot.

Blah blah yes. Sometimes your blind hatred of DD really gets in the way of making an actual point. And he should be fired if he trades either one for CC Sabathia. Should we list the other 600 players in the majors that he should be fired for if he traded either of those two for them?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm scared to see what we would give up for Gonzalez or Blackmon. I just don't think we have the depth to give up more young arms. If we would just sign Upton or Cespedes we wouldn't need to trade for an outfielder.

It's Gausman for Cargo. That's what they want. Still per Heyman.

It's Gausman for Cargo. That's what they want. Still per Heyman.

We have been much closer to "going for it" and we have refused to trade Gausman, Bundy, or Harvey. I have faith that DD will not do this. If I am wrong, that would be enough for me to lose confidence in him as a GM. But I would be shocked if he does this.

I think people are living in a dream world if they think we are going to acquire Carlos Gonzalez for very little because he's a "salary dump." He's an above average starting outfielder who is fairly paid.

Exactly. And IMO we don't have the prospect depth to trade for this type of player.

I think people are living in a dream world if they think we are going to acquire Carlos Gonzalez for very little because he's a "salary dump." He's an above average starting outfielder who is fairly paid.

He's a .750 OPS OF away from Coors who is making $17M this year ($20M next year). I could see maybe giving up Christian Walker but the season ticket holders should file a lawsuit if DD gives up Gausman, Bundy, or Harvey.

"Fairly paid" means you can just as easily get the same deal on the free agent market. I don't know why you would spend $18.5M per year AND give up a significant prospect when you can get Cespedes right now for the same price.

He's a .750 OPS OF away from Coors who is making $17M this year ($20M next year). I could see maybe giving up Christian Walker but the season ticket holders should file a lawsuit if DD gives up Gausman, Bundy, or Harvey.

"Fairly paid" means you can just as easily get the same deal on the free agent market. I don't know why you would spend $18.5M per year AND give up a significant prospect when you can get Cespedes right now for the same price.

I think CarGo would be worth more on the open market than he is being paid right now. I don't know for a fact that you can get Cespedes for the "same price" -- more likely, he will earn an AAV of more than $18.5 mm, and you'll be paying him for some years where he will be on the decline.

That said, don't misunderstand that I am advocating trading for CarGo. I'm merely saying that I think the cost to get him would be petty steep. I don't think we are in a good position to trade for him.

I don't understand trading for Blackmon unless the Orioles are going to start letting their players run more.

Dickerson is young, but not super impressive. He hasn't established any track record and the Orioles can I'll afford firing another blank.

Cargo is interesting. A year after getting injured he hits 6 more homers than his career best. Even environment neutralized he would have swatted over 35 homers. His cost is not prohibitive and he is controlled for two seasons. He would likely generate a pick upon leaving as well. That said, is retaining the 14th pick but giving g up Bundy or Harvey plus one of Mancini, Reyes or Sisco (I'm guessing at cost) worth it when signing Upton would give you similar production at the cost of the pick?

If DD was so worried about retaining this pick then he should have traded off last mid season and sunk the team into a top 10 protected pick. Welcome to the treadmill of mediocrity.

Archived