Top position players 25 and under?

mweb

This is a topic that always interests me, here's my top 10, hopefully I won't forget anyone:

BTW, any of the first 3 could be #1, although as of now, MCab has earned the #1 spot.

1. MCAB

2. Mauer

3. Sizemore

4. Reyes(wouldn't be surprised if he leads off this list by years end)

5. Wright

6. McCann(seems to get overlooked too much)

7. Ramirez(SG, you really called this one;) )

8. Cano(most likely guy to fall off this list imo)

9. Crawford

10. A. Gonzalez(SG, you did call this one)

Others to consider for now or guys that may be on here shortly but haven't done quite enough: Kinsler, Upton, Markakis, Weeks, Kendrick, Martin, Zimmerman, Baldelli, and plenty of others I haven't thought of.

Looks like the NL finally has a great group of SS's(Reyes, HRam, Rollins, Furcal) after the AL had dominated the position for so long. It seems we might be on the cusp of another great catching era right as the last one come's to an end. I'm speaking of Mauer, McCann, and Martin as the future with Piazza, IRod, and Posada being the recent past. 3rd base might be great as well with MCab, Wright, Atkins, Zimmerman, and Gordon among others.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's absurd. #1 is way, way ahead of anyone else. Don't be silly.

Silly? MCab, is the best imo, but I don't think it's by a huge margin at all, especially when considering position, and I think there's a decent chance at least one of those guys surpass him this season. Although I'll concede Wright is a bit of stretch and Reyes is too based on past performance, but he's been incredible so far this year, and like I said, I think he could prove to be the best of the group. But thanks for being so polite about it.

Cranky, eh :)

Lets try it this way: How many position players in baseball are better than Miguel Cabrera?

Not cranky at all, just don't care to be talked to like that.

To answer that, not many, but I think Mauer and Sizemore are pretty close. Reyes might be as well, or better, we'll see how for real his start is. None of these guys compare to MCab as a hitter, but those 3 play much more important positions than MCab, and contribute more on the basepaths. Most likely in the intangibles department as well considering their respective reputations, although I don't put too much emphasis on that.

And I edited my original post to only the top 3 should be considered for #1 right now, while I think Reyes is the WC to watch in the future.

BTW, any other thoughts on this besides the gap between MCab and the rest?

You know that Miguel Cabrera is about nine months older than Nick Markakis, but has about 2400 major league plate appearances at a .920 OPS? In a pitcher's park?

He has a legitimate shot at breaking most career offensive records. He just might get to 3000 hits by his mid-30s. He could reach 3000 hits, 500 homers, 750 doubles, around 2000 runs and RBI.

Of course he could also end up as Caesar Cedeno, but the list of guys who have legitimiate shots at the things he does is very, very, very short.

Not trying to be snippy, sorry. MCab is my favorite player not named Nick.

I look at it as only Ortiz, Pujols and Hafner have been better offensive players over the last two years.

Both Reyes and Sizemore are great defensive players and promising offensive talents. But Mcab RAKES and is not the butcher he once was at third base.

Its much harder to predict him improving because his level of performance is so high, but that kind of consistently elite performance (and the future promise it holds, as speed ages much faster than a monster bat, and Reyes and Sizemore are very speed driven) give him the edge in my book.

IMO Sizemore just approached this level last year and Reyes has yet to arrive at that level, although he was on the cusp last year and appears to have grown even more early this season.

And he's a year younger than Sizemore and the same age as Reyes.

Is it talent right now? I tried a Bill Simmons NBA like list that got into contract and age here (which I think makes this exercise more interesting) It airballed but I love this topic too. Way to get it going.

In addition to Gordon, I think the names of Prince Fielder, Delmon Young and Chris Young have to be out there, as their ascension to the top of this list is looming.

I think Rickie Weeks is top ten. IMO he's better than Cano, who I don't value in the top 15 or so.

IMO Robinson Cano doesn't belong in this discussion.

If he can live up to the hype, Alex Gordon will be on this list real soon.

Well Cano's season last year certainly warrants him being on the list, but like I said, he's the most likely to fall off the list this year.

Is it talent right now? I tried a Bill Simmons NBA like list that got into contract and age here (which I think makes this exercise more interesting) It airballed but I love this topic too. Way to get it going.

In addition to Gordon, I think the names of Prince Fielder, Delmon Young and Chris Young have to be out there, as their ascension to the top of this list is looming.

I think Rickie Weeks is top ten. IMO he's better than Cano, who I don't value in the top 15 or so.

Again, Cano is coming off a year which clearly puts him into this discussion, you may think he won't repeat the success like me, but his possible demise isn't a factor for right now imo. I think Weeks will prove to be higher soon, but other than a hot start this season, what has he done to warrant being ahead of Cano?

I'm going with what the players have done up til now, but you can go whatever direction you like.

Again, Cano is coming off a year which clearly puts him into this discussion, you may think he won't repeat the success like me, but his possible demise isn't a factor for right now imo. I think Weeks will prove to be higher soon, but other than a hot start this season, what has he done to warrant being ahead of Cano?

I'm going with what the players have done up til now, but you can go whatever direction you like.

He can catch and throw and run the bases real good. and take walks.

Cano has bricks for hands and not so good on the bases, although in fairness he has shown more patience at the plate this year.

That said, its really important to have a solid defensive second baseman. The Yankees don't, yet.

Cano has bricks for hands and not so good on the bases, although in fairness he has shown more patience at the plate this year.

That said, its really important to have a solid defensive second baseman. The Yankees don't, yet.

I don't trust rate much, but it says Cano is quite good at 2nd, Weeks, not so much. Cano also easily rated higher in ZR and had a much better fielding %. So what defensive stats do you have that rate Weeks as being much better? Cano was .133 better in OPS, so I have a hard time believing Weeks defense(rated very poorly by rate) and baserunning makes up that difference.

Weeks is not very good at all at 2B.

In fact the Brewers thought long and hard about biting the bullet and moving him to the OF. They've stuck with him at 2B for now, but that's still a somewhat tenuous situation.

Archived