TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

He hit that ball off of Koji. Kim struck out against Barnes and his 97 MPH fastball as he's probably never seen one of those before, but he struck out on a buried slider in that AB. He did take the two walks off of Kelly who

was throwing 93-95, though. Those were great at bats. He's slowly coming around at the plate.

Oh yeah you are right.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He hit that ball off of Koji. Kim struck out against Barnes and his 97 MPH fastball as he's probably never seen one of those before, but he struck out on a buried slider in that AB. He did take the two walks off of Kelly who

was throwing 93-95, though. Those were great at bats. He's slowly coming around at the plate.

Which is impressive considering how little playing time he had the last few weeks of pre-season. That first walk was remarkable: he was down 0-2 and he maintained his plate discipline even though Kelly kept throwing it near the spot the ump had very inaccurately called a strike on the first pitch. (Kim's double-take and quick mystified glance back at the ump were amusing.)

He also got down to second very quickly preventing a force-out on a ground ball to short after his second walk. I had thought it was going to be an automatic out. Koji seemed a bit unsure of how to handle Kim--he tossed an unusual slow change low and outside, bounced another pitch, and the line drive he gave up was hit very hard to the same area that some of the O's sluggers had flied out to earlier: not typical Koji during an otherwise strong outing.

I think Buck is beginning to expand his sense of what Kim's role on the team can be. It was interesting to see him choose Kim rather than Alvarez or Flaherty to pinch-hit for Reimold last night in the 9th. Perhaps if it had been a tie game or one-run deficit, he would have chosen differently in hopes of getting a home run or double (and then pinch-run with Kim if the latter?). In any case, the choice showed confidence in Kim's ability to get on base, including via walk or infield hit.

I think Buck is beginning to expand his sense of what Kim's role on the team can be. It was interesting to see him choose Kim rather than Alvarez or Wieters to pinch-hit for Reimold last night in the 9th. Perhaps if it had been a tie game or one-run deficit, he would have chosen differently in hopes of getting a home run or double (and then pinch-run with Kim if the latter?). In any case, the choice showed confidence in Kim's ability to get on base, including via walk or infield hit.
Excellent AB for Kim last night.

I think Buck is beginning to expand his sense of what Kim's role on the team can be. It was interesting to see him choose Kim rather than Alvarez or Wieters to pinch-hit for Reimold last night in the 9th. Perhaps if it had been a tie game or one-run deficit, he would have chosen differently in hopes of getting a home run or double (and then pinch-run with Kim if the latter?). In any case, the choice showed confidence in Kim's ability to get on base, including via walk or infield hit.

It would have been even more interesting to have seen Wieters pinch hit for Reimold.

Happy that Kim is making something of his opportunities. I hope he has a productive year for the O's because it is what is best for the Orioles and because some posters in this thread would have to eat serious crow. :) Although it is an incredibly small sample size to date, it seems clear that he has a pretty good idea about the strike zone even at the ML level. That is an incredibly important skill and if it real is a good predictor of at least moderate future success. Hope the Orioles haven't already fired the people who scouted him. :)

It really was. For a rookie in the MLB, he certainly is patient. They have to throw the ball over because he isn't going after anything outside of the zone. He is growing on me.

Indeed. As Rickard comes back to earth, I think we will see more of Kim. The guy clearly knows what he is doing with the bat.

Indeed. As Rickard comes back to earth, I think we will see more of Kim. The guy clearly knows what he is doing with the bat.

Alvarez will have a longer leash than Rickard, but DH is another possibility, as well as occasional pinchrunning.

Archived