Grey Fenter - Phantom Weights

weams

I haven't polled them recently but if you are looking for a reason for the high amount of TJS, you might want to look at these type of training techniques. There is simply too much emphasis on weight training in baseball and for pitchers I don't see where this is a good thing. Just my two cents.

I believe that throwing harder for longer, starting younger, is why all the ulnar collateral ligaments fail.

I believe that throwing harder for longer, starting younger, is why all the ulnar collateral ligaments fail.

I believe that throwing a ball in the fashion of a pitcher is a fundamentally unnatural act and the body can't sustain the stress.

Back in the day plenty of guys got bum arms and were done.

I believe that throwing a ball in the fashion of a pitcher is a fundamentally unnatural act and the body can't sustain the stress.

I believe that the exercises and medical/chemical advances made 97 achievable for guys not built like Nolan Ryan.

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/weighted_baseballs.htm

This kid seems a bit of a yahoo. What is he trying to accomplish here? He should be running, running and more running and looking at him he needs to run. If I'm in the Orioles front office, I would be concerned with this rather childish demonstration.:cool:

That's not how this works...That's not how any of this works. The days of pitchers running long distances are gone. They now have shorter more intense runs sprints. Most don't run more than a mile - a mile and a half. Some "old school" guys still do but, not many.

I haven't polled them recently but if you are looking for a reason for the high amount of TJS, you might want to look at these type of training techniques. There is simply too much emphasis on weight training in baseball and for pitchers I don't see where this is a good thing. Just my two cents.

How do you know that there is a correlation between weight training and TJ surgery? I guess there's speculation that max effort all the time leads to more injuries. That may be true.

Baseball doesn't seem terribly concerned. They could certainly do something. Like a fairly strict rule that you can only use one pitcher per seven or eight innings unless he's allowed some fairly large number of baserunners or runs. Forced pacing. You'd probably have to deaden the ball and/or grow the strike zone.

Injuries, if they were fewer (and they may have been) were because real men went nine. Not because they gutted through or manned up or were better humans, but because they threw at 75% effort most of the time. If Zach Britton dialed it back to 87 I bet he could throw 300 innings. Or if Tillman never pushed himself over low-to-mid 80s. When pitchers used to do that many fences were long, talent was thin, many lineups had 5 guys who hit three homers a year, no DH, and the zone was knees to shoulders.

Expand to 75 MLB teams, put the zone back to '68, dump the DH, put up some big walls, and limit pitching changes and within a few years you'll get someone with 14 CGs and 300 innings. And maybe less injuries.

Since this thread is kind of about exercising and baseball. This is a pretty impressive display of endurance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KOhSjTSw7h0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wax on. Wax off.

Baseball ninja style.

• 2 months later...

And it does happen - not sure of the cause but we can draw whatever conclusions might apply....

Archived