April 13th against the Rays

Crazysilver03

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would you like him to do with it? He had been busted inside on the previous pitch. If he swings at that, the best case scenario is that he fouls it off. If the umpire is going to call pitches way off the plate, the hitters are going to fail. Nick took two pitches closer than the pitch called against Millar.

With two strikes, you protect the plate. With two strikes and a terrible umpire you have to protect the plate plus a little bit. It doesn't absolve Bucknor of responsibility for sucking, but a veteran like Millar should understand that Bucknor sucks and adjust his approach accordingly.

we really can't get upset. bases loaded and only one out. but the middle of our line up is millar and huff - they aren't that good and they both struck out (huff on three pitches). the first week of the season was great but it got our hopes up and it shouldn't. we can't expect to compete when our middle of the lineup is millar and huff. they walked markakis (and in the process walked in a run) instead of pitching to him so they can then go and strike out millar and huff. they would've rather faced those guys. Kakes has no protection behind him unfortunately.

Suddenly, Huff is clearly struggling to pick up the ball. I would have been very tempted to hit Payton for him in that situation. Miller is very tough on lefties.

Ugh! Like last year... a steady diet of curves and offspeed crap. That he can't hit...

I hear ya. I'm just asking what you would have expected him to do in that spot? I give it even money he whiffs or pops up. He might have even grounded into a double play. The previous pitch was on his fists. Covering the first fastball you've seen off the outside corner after being busted on the fists is just about impossible. If he swings at that pitch and whiffs, pops up, or hits into a DP, you and the rest of the blame crew would be crushing him for swinging at ball three and ruining the inning.

I would have taken the pitch because I could do nothing with it, it was a ball, and hoped Bucknor didn't suck (again).

I wouldn't have been complaining about him swinging at it. It was close enough to justify swinging with two strikes even if Bucknor wasn't the umpire.

So, for future reference, you want our hitters to swing at any two strike pitch that is four to six inches off either corner? And you will never complain about them doing so, because "you've got to protect with two strikes" even against balls off the corners that are somewhat close? Have I got this right?

Sorry, but I don't believe I have to answer to the PC Police every time I respond in the heat of the moment to a play in a game thread. Lots of sports fans like to rant about sports. It's just a way to blow off steam. Getting offended every time someone criticizes a player while watching a game is just going to raise your blood pressure to levels I don't even want to imagine. I'm not going to respond to your nitpicking with my posts anymore. It's beyond tiresome.

Archived