Reimold/Rickard/Alvarez: Odd Man Out

BohKnowsBmore

Who is the odd man out?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the odd man out?

• Reimold
    • Rickard
    • Alvarez
    • More than one of them (i.e. Paredes has a spot)

Are you being serious or making a joke?

Geeze, I got a team of 8 people working for me, and sometimes, you just can't think of the guy working on something for you at that moment, in spite of the fact.

I wonder what the total number of players in the Orioles Minor League system, all of them, even the developmental ones, not formally assigned to a team, yet.

It was a joke. He called him the rule five player. That's all.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alvarez is going to have to blow everyone away to make the team.

Reimold is probably a solid platoon option with Kim, if needed. And he can also sort-of play all three OF positions. I think he has to play his way off of the team - or get hurt.

I think we'll see Parades and Rickard fighting for the last roster spot.

Rickard offers a unique skill set as a bench player - in that (it sounds like) he can backup all three OF positions, and also add an element of speed off of the bench. That might have value as a 25th man.

Parades looked like a really solid hitter for 3 months - then, not so much. He has no position. I actually think he might be a very solid hitter one day. But I don't think he adds any value as a 25th man.

With the roster shaping up with players who will largely play every day, I think your bench is Joseph, Flaherty, Reimold, and Rickard to start the season.

With Navarro gone, I'd like for Alvarez to earn it. I'm probably overestimating the importance, but I'd prefer the 13th guy to have options in case they need an extra bullpen guy.

I'd prefer Rickard and his years of team control over Reimold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alvarez is going to have to blow everyone away to make the team.

Reimold is probably a solid platoon option with Kim, if needed. And he can also sort-of play all three OF positions. I think he has to play his way off of the team - or get hurt.

I think we'll see Parades and Rickard fighting for the last roster spot.

Rickard offers a unique skill set as a bench player - in that (it sounds like) he can backup all three OF positions, and also add an element of speed off of the bench. That might have value as a 25th man.

Parades looked like a really solid hitter for 3 months - then, not so much. He has no position. I actually think he might be a very solid hitter one day. But I don't think he adds any value as a 25th man.

With the roster shaping up with players who will largely play every day, I think your bench is Joseph, Flaherty, Reimold, and Rickard to start the season.

Agree with this, except that I have no faith Paredes will ever put together a solid MLB season.

I didn't think this way earlier in the offseason, but I could now see Paredes cracking the 25-man in that last spot as simply a lefty bat off the bench. You have enough outfielders to cover yourself, especially considering Flaherty could play out there in a pinch.

So Paredes could be almost a strict pinch-hitter. Sort of a lesser version of the role some here envision Pedro Alvarez could fill.

Dan,

dont go out and spend your 401K on this in Vegas, I think Jimmy, while a nice guy, is a very very long shot.

Haha, perhaps. But if they're really going for it this year, I dunno if they can keep Rickard on the roster. Might make the most of the roster space by having a specialty bat like Paredes. Although as I say that I'm wondering who he'd actually pinch hit for...

Speed, plus defender and versatility of positions, could very well be the key on the last bench spot.

With Navarro gone, I'd like for Alvarez to earn it. I'm probably overestimating the importance, but I'd prefer the 13th guy to have options in case they need an extra bullpen guy.

I'd prefer Rickard and his years of team control over Reimold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Navarro didn't have a chance to make the roster, doubt Alvarez does either.

I didn't think this way earlier in the offseason, but I could now see Paredes cracking the 25-man in that last spot as simply a lefty bat off the bench. You have enough outfielders to cover yourself, especially considering Flaherty could play out there in a pinch.

So Paredes could be almost a strict pinch-hitter. Sort of a lesser version of the role some here envision Pedro Alvarez could fill.

It's hard to imagine a less productive use of a roster spot than a pinch-hitter with a career OPS of .662. Might as well give it to an Olympic sprinter to pinch run. Or maybe a guy who's just there to be a late inning defensive replacement at first base. Or limit Brian Matusz to just facing David Ortiz. Or someone just to be the turf part of a strict turf/grass platoon. Or someone chosen specifically for the circadian rhythms and biorhythms necessary to excel at Boston's 10am Patriot's Day game.

(Please don't take offense, just enjoyed coming up with ever more ridiculous niche jobs.)

Pretty sure Navarro didn't have a chance to make the roster, doubt Alvarez does either.

Alvarez is interesting. He has options. As 25th man he could be the one optioned if the O's need an extra reliever. The only guys with options that are projected to make the team are:

Gausman - O's are committed to keep him in the rotation.

Gonzalez - As one of the 5 starters he is less likely to be optioned until August.

Givens - may be too valuable to option

Flaherty - Not likely to be optioned

Schoop and Manny - will not be optioned.

Jpseph - will not be optioned.

So Alvarez could be the guy to ride the shuttle when an extra reliever is needed. However, either Reimold or Rickard would have to go. Tough one.

I think you bring up a good point. Especially if the bullpen is low on optionable guys. Alvarez being on the shuttle will have much less fuss than someone like Wei Yin Chen.

Archived