Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

Weams, I hope you heard something about this because though it might not have been my first choice, I prefer it to a platoon of Reimold and a Venable type. The possible rewards/updide seem much greater, and I won't have to try to explain why Nolan Reimold keeps getting chances to my grumbling wife. I am out of answers on that one - other than blackmail photo conspiracy theories.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weams, I hope you heard something about this because though it might not have been my first choice, I prefer it to a platoon of Reimold and a Venable type. The possible rewards/updide seem much greater, and I won't have to try to explain why Nolan Reimold keeps getting chances to my grumbling wife. I am out of answers on that one - other than blackmail photo conspiracy theories.

I heard nothing. What was said was the Scott Proefrock quote that Dan will go get an outfielder at this time of the year. That is the only thing that I heard up close and personal.

Brady. Brady is the answer. And the power of the front office is about equally divided between Buck, Dan and Brady, with Dan empowered to pull the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd give him his own thread; I hope that's OK.

If you hadn't noticed in the other threads, Bruce appears to be in the mix for RF, along with Fowler.

http://www.redreporter.com/2016/2/10/10962102/cincinnati-reds-rumors-jay-bruce-baltimore-orioles

His contract isn't so bad - $12.5M in 2016, with a $13.5M option for 2017.

He followed up consecutive Top 10 MVP finishes in '12 and '13 with an injury plagued '14.

Last season he was at .226/.294./.434/.728. But his 1st half 2nd half splits were .251/.341/.465/.806 and .199/.242/.402/.644. And he was actually at .260/.342/.492/.834 on August 1st.

So - What do we think about this?

If you hadn't noticed in the other threads, Bruce appears to be in the mix for RF, along with Fowler.

http://www.redreporter.com/2016/2/10/10962102/cincinnati-reds-rumors-jay-bruce-baltimore-orioles

He followed up consecutive Top 10 MVP finishes in '12 and '13 with an injury plagued '14.

Last season he was at .226/.294./.434/.728. But his 1st half 2nd half splits were .251/.341/.465/.806 and .199/.242/.402/.644. And he was actually at .260/.342/.492/.806 on August 1st.

If we could get him without giving up Cisco, Bundy, Harvey, Reyes, or Mancini, then sure. Otherwise, I think I would rather sign Alvarez, DH him, and put Trumbo in RF. If not that, then sign Fowler. Giving up prospects for Bruce would be my 3rd option.

If we could get him without giving up Cisco, Bundy, Harvey, Reyes, or Mancini, then sure. Otherwise, I think I would rather sign Alvarez, DH him, and put Trumbo in RF. If not that, then sign Fowler. Giving up prospects for Bruce would be my 3rd option.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that.

This would be my thoughts exactly. In fact for me, signing Alvarez and keeping the pick is at least on a par with signing Fowler and giving up the pick. Alvarez on a 3 year, 21 million deal sounds like it could be the highest upside of all the options and cost the least. Trumbo, while not a great fielder, would not be a disaster in RF for us.

Last season he was at .226/.294./.434/.728. But his 1st half 2nd half splits were .251/.341/.465/.806 and .199/.242/.402/.644. And he was actually at .260/.342/.492/.834 on August 1st.

Bruce is my choice. For many reasons.

Aug 1 to Oct 4: .178 .219 .357 .575 What happened?

I would definitely want to get some inside scoop before kicking the tires seriously on Bruce. If The Reds want a premium prospect for him then I would want my scouts to be able to go over film from that period of time and do some analysis.

If the Reds are looking to salary dump him and it's going to cost me something like Wright/Walker/Urrutia then I'm all in.

If the Orioles feel like Bruce was hurt and should rebound, then I'm all for sending him one of Sisco/Reyes along with a guy like Mancini to the Reds for him.

That's Atkins level bad. Enough to warrant having serious concerns about whether or not he can actually still hit.

http://www.redreporter.com/2015/10/23/9584070/jay-bruce-cincinnati-reds

2016 Outlook

Jay could hit 40 homers next year and walk more than 12% of the time and I wouldn't be surprised. Hell, on that August 1st day when Jay's slash line was so rosy, he actually was walking that often (which at the time was the best mark of his career).

Jay may also hit .226 again and struggle to get a multi-year contract after 2016.

Archived