Orioles Final Pick Order 27 First Pick

weams

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What SL said is very misleading because there is no international draft.

The Os could end up with a disproportional share of the international prospects available this year because of the # of teams that cannot bid for the top players and because of the number of teams that normally don't invest a lot internationally. The Os might be able to walk away with as many as four to six of the top 40 international prospects if the organization is willing to pay penalties and spend $10M-$15M in total. The Os are one of 30+ teams in MLB. The opportunity to walk away from an international class with five of the top 40 only comes around once in a while for a team like the Os. My guess is that we will remain small time investors regarding international prospects, but this year presents a very unique opportunity.

Regarding our draft picks, it is nice to have five of the first 100 picks, but remember that one of those is left over from last year (a second round pick missing in our system).

My research indicated that the average team only produces a player like that approximately once every other year. If you produce two players like that in the same draft, you've really had an excellent draft.

Let's get er' done! Excuse my poor joke. I think we all would agree this year's draft is critical with 5 in the top 100. We have an opportunity and responsibility to do the best we can and be darned the slots.

Archived