Who Is A Better Fit For Orioles: Jay Bruce, Austin Jackson Or Pedro Alvarez

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who would be a better fit for the Orioles, Jay Bruce, Austin Jackson Or Pedro Alvarez? Paul Fokemer ranks how each compares in five key categories. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/02/29/who-is-a-better-fit-for-the-orioles-jay-bruce-austin-jackson-or-pedro-alvarez

Alvarez or Jackson. No way in hell do I want the FO to trade

for Jay Bruce. IMO

So. You would remake the entire offense? Because an Austin Jackson is gonna make no difference with his skill-set.

I don't know. His defense IMO would be much better than the circus we saw in the corners last year. That being said Mike Devereaux was a good defensive CF and didn't work out in RF. But he didn't get much of a chance with the O's in RF either.

Jay Bruce can't bounce back to 2-3 years ago because every team shifts now. That's a fact. I'd rather keep guys like Mancini, Cisco and Wright then trade for this guy. At this point in the offseason everyone out there is flawed but there is less risk in Jackson and P.Alvarez.

Interesting point sir. Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know after mulling it over for a long time. Along with looking up splits time and again. I think I'd rather have Alvarez over Bruce. Alvarez hits AL pitching better and has almost even splits between first and second half numbers. While Bruce does slightly worse in the second half.

But I still like Jackson just for his defense. So it would be Jackson, Alvarez, then Bruce for me.

In RS from 2011-2015 Jackson is:29, 5, 3, 0, -1 not the best trend.

Well, Pedro is -7, 1.8, -13.4, -22.6. Bruce is -11.6, 2.8, -13.6, -11.2.

Jackson is looking pretty good to me.

Fowler was -23 last year and everyone was so excited to have him for 35 million. And our pick.

Well, Pedro is -7, 1.8, -13.4, -22.6. Bruce is -11.6, 2.8, -13.6, -11.2.

Jackson is looking pretty good to me.

We wouldn't play Alvarez in RF we'd play Trumbo who is: 1, -1, -8, -1, -3. But I'm using the FB DRS I have no idea what you are using. They have Bruce as: -4, 18 , -7, 5, the last 4 years.

Just based on performance and potential, I'd prefer Jay Bruce, but it seems like the Reds actually want a bona fide prospect, and if they can't get one now, they are probably content to give Bruce a chance to re-establish some trade value with a strong first half. I don't want Bruce if I have to give up someone like Reyes or Cisco to get him.

I still think the best course is to ask Chris Davis very nicely if he wouldn't mind playing right field this season, and signing Pedro Alvarez or David Freese to share time at 1B/DH with Trumbo.

Failing that, I think we should stand pat. I just don't see what Austin Jackson brings to the table to justify spending over $6 million. He's no better than a bunch of guys who have gotten minor league contracts in the last couple of weeks (Venable, Murphy, Stubbs).

We wouldn't play Alvarez in RF we'd play Trumbo who is: 1, -1, -8, -1, -3. But I'm using the FB DRS I have no idea what you are using. They have Bruce as: -4, 18 , -7, 5, the last 4 years.

I was looking at Fangraphs DEF (which adjusts for position). They have Trumbo at -12.4, -3.6, -14.4, -9.7 vs Jackson 5.6, -1.8, -6.3, 8.3.

I was looking at Fangraphs DEF (which adjusts for position). They have Trumbo at -12.4, -3.6, -14.4, -9.7 vs Jackson 5.6, -1.8, -6.3, 8.3.
FB is the best system IMO. My numbers are for CF for Jackson and RF for Trumbo. and it looks to me that he isn't as big a risk as some seem to think. Jackson's game depends on speed and he's not getting any faster.

Lowest risk/lowest reward: Austin Jackson at five to six mil for one year. Likely a plus a defender in right and an OPS in the .650 to .700 range. Can't expect much more or less than that.

Highest risk/highest reward: Jay Bruce at 12.5 to 13.5 million for one year plus one or two C prospects that could potentially give us something down the line. Could be one of our better overall producers if he bounces back to his career numbers. If he really plays well he could be worth picking up the option.

Alvarez is the safest best because we know exactly what we are going to get. 25-30 homeruns and an .800ish OPS with mediocre to poor defense in right (Trumbo or Davis) whenever there is a righty on the mound.

I vote going for the high risk/high reward guy, but I just hope we do something. Going into the season with the current candidates for the corner OF spots is a disaster waiting to happen.

Archived