We get no respect from the National Media.

MDtransplant757

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Respect is healthy, nutritious, life-enhancing... Relishing the feeling that the whole world is against you is bizarre and possibly masochistic. I don't get the appeal.

It has nothing to do with being appealing. It has to do with dealing with the reality of the cards you're dealt. Ever heard of David and Goliath? Part of growing up in the Baltimore area is confronting the Goliaths to the north and to the south. Of course I'm mainly referring to baseball but not only baseball. Baltimore is the no respect town on many levels (there are exceptions of course, mainly the Ravens).

It has nothing to do with being appealing. It has to do with dealing with reality with the cards you're dealt. Ever heard of David and Goliath? Part of growing up in the Baltimore area is confronting the Goliaths to the north and to the south. Of course I'm mainly referring to baseball but not only baseball. Baltimore is the no respect town on many levels (there are exceptions of course, mainly the Ravens).

Goliath's downfall was slow bat speed, not a lack of respect.

From the article:

Fielding-wise, the team has been adequate but not much more than that. Which, based on the personnel, you’d probably expect. Wieters and Machado are outstanding defenders, but after that nobody really stands out.

Really? Anyone who has paid any attention the last few years knows that JJ Hardy stands out defensively.

2015: 5th in MLB in UZR/150.

2014: 2nd

2013: 4th

2012: 2nd

2011: 5th

Entire period 2011-15: 2nd

You can make arguments about Davis, Schoop and Jones, but Hardy's excellence is indisputable.

The comment about unlimited DHs is a bit obnoxious as only Trumbo and Alvarez really fit that mold.

Also to say that only machado and wieters stand out on defense isn't really accurate IMO. Hardy should be included and Jones when he gets back. Rickard may be worthy of some recognition too, definitely coming into the year I thought his D would outperform his O.

Edit: What Frobby said.

From the article:

Really? Anyone who has paid any attention the last few years knows that JJ Hardy stands out defensively.

You can make arguments about Davis, Schoop and Jones, but Hardy's excellence is indisputable.

You can't make arguments about Jones either. He's wonderful. Regardless of data.

Goliath's downfall was slow bat speed, not a lack of respect.

Wait, you mean Goliath's lack of respect for David? Well, I haven't read the story in awhile but Goliath would represent someone who is given all the respect in the world based on his reputation for being unbeatable -- and his overconfidence that would come from it. David was the one that no one respected -- until he kicked some ass. But in the case of the actual Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays, I think all three teams respect the Orioles for sure. I was talking about the media, the sports writers and pundits who underrate the smaller market teams year after year -- not the players in Boston, New York and Toronto lacking respect for the Orioles.

The comment about unlimited DHs is a bit obnoxious as only Trumbo and Alvarez really fit that mold.
From the article:

That would be why I chose to include the piece in this thread, instead of a thread of it's own. :D

Fielding-wise, the team has been adequate but not much more than that. Which, based on the personnel, you’d probably expect. Wieters and Machado are outstanding defenders, but after that nobody really stands out.

They haven't been watching Chris Davis. :angryfire:

That fangraphs article was sloppy. Not one of their best writers. I was a little surprised to see Jonah Keri's article was also sloppy. He's a great writer. He was citing stuff like their BABIP and LOB% as being lucky...well obviously. They've won 7 games in a row. You gotta be lucky somehow to make that happen, not just in sequencing.

Yea saying Machado and Wieters are our only outstanding defenders is pretty lazy. Hardy is in the top 5 in defensive WAR so far and obviously has the recognition winning multiple GG's recently. Schoop is a good defender, Davis has played great so far as well. The only black hole is Trumbo, and I don't think he's even as bad as most would think. After all, this is more or less the same team that set the record for fewest errors in a season in 2014(?).

Archived