Jim Henneman: Hyunn Soo Kim Doesn't Have What It Takes To Compete in AL East

PressBoxOnline

Here's a question to consider: How many regular corner outfielders are there in the big leagues making an average of $3.5 million per year? Unless they are pre-arbitration eligible, you can probably count them on one hand.

I have about 12 issues with this piece, but this line is just silly. I spot-checked the AL Central and got seven or eight corner OFers making more than Kim. I'd guess there are 40+ corner OFers making more than Kim in the MLBs this year, and probably several more in Japan.

Jim Henneman believes Hyun Soo Kim is a better hitter than he's shown, but he says putting him on the Orioles' Opening Day roster would have sent the wrong message.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/03/30/hyun-soo-kim-doesnt-have-what-it-takes-to-compete-in-the-al-east

Good for Captain Hindsight. So you knew the guy was going to fail after he failed.

“He’s had over a .400 on-base percentage a couple of times in Korea and he’s led his league, and he’s also led the league in batting and won the Gold Glove a couple of times in Korea,” Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said.

“All those skills are going to be very helpful in this ballpark, but the best thing that I’ve seen him do is he hits the ball the other way. He waits on the ball and he hits down on the fastball and that should translate to a lot of home runs at this ballpark.”

“This past year he hit for significant power with 28 home runs and at his age, he’s just turning 28, he’ll be able to translate that home run production from Korea to the States,” Duquette said. “He’s got a short swing and he uses the whole ballpark. He hits the ball to left field, he hits the ball to left-center field and he also pulls the ball to right field which should play very well in our ballpark.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-orioles-officially-sign-hyun-soo-kim-20151223-story.html

I have about 12 issues with this piece, but this line is just silly. I spot-checked the AL Central and got seven or eight corner OFers making more than Kim. I'd guess there are 40+ corner OFers making more than Kim in the MLBs this year, and probably several more in Japan.

His point was opposite saying he was really cheap not really expensive.

Thats the point hes making. That it would be really cheap for us to not cut a guy making that little.

Archived