Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

People are saying he looked great last night, but like CoC pointed out, that was a very suspect Braves lineup.

Anybody who said he looked great last night is some combination of (a) clueless, (b) a homer, © plugged into the clubhouse and likely friends with him. AKA Melewski, Hunter, and Bordick, in that order. Melewski and Hunter really don't know anything about baseball, and I like Bordick alot and think he was a great player, but he is definitely a homer as well and has personal attachments to the players. Clearly the Orioles' decision makers, the ones who are not going to be as biased, did not feel the same as those guys.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On Gonzalez, players released by Opening Day get 45 days pay. Owed $5.1m, would put <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> on hook for $1.275m. <a href="https://t.co/Kv5lQSrXO9">pic.twitter.com/Kv5lQSrXO9</a></p>— Jon Meoli (@JonMeoli) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anybody who said he looked great last night is some combination of (a) clueless, (b) a homer, © plugged into the clubhouse and likely friends with him. AKA Melewski, Hunter, and Bordick, in that order. Melewski and Hunter really don't know anything about baseball, and I like Bordick alot and think he was a great player, but he is definitely a homer as well and has personal attachments to the players. Clearly the Orioles' decision makers, the ones who are not going to be as biased, did not feel the same as those guys.

He looked bad last evening. But he sure tried. It was Atlanta's C team. The equivalent of AA.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/orioles-place-miguel-gonzalez-on-release-waivers.html

"Orioles have placed righty Miguel Gonzalez on release waivers, according to Eduarco Encina of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter links).

Gonzalez, 31, had agreed to a $5.1MM arbitration salary for the coming season, and the club would remain obligated

for about a quarter of that (45 days pay) if he isn?t claimed."

Looks like they save about $4 milion.

I wouldn't be shocked that there's more going on than we know. I don't know what it is, whether it be injury, lack of work ethic, falling out between both sides, I don't know, but I'm convinced there's more going on. He had a horrible spring training, but there has to be more in play when you release a guy who you apparently had an option on and you're already thin at the big league level starting pitching department.

Yes I think you are right. There is more to than meets the eye.

So, the ineffectiveness last half of 2015, and losing 4 MPH of his fastball, with no apparent injury has nothing to do with it, just money?

Like I said in my other post, when the stuff is gone, it's gone. But you release him here to save that 4 mill. Otherwise you send him down or stash in the pen.

Showalter last night, from Roch's blog:

Showalter was reserved in his praise of Gonzalez, who is fighting for a spot in the rotation.

"He had good results. He had good results tonight," Showalter said. "Good to see him get that. I know it's been a challenge for him as far as results go."

Gonzalez was pleased with his command. Showalter said it was "a little better."

"Not as good as I've seen him, but he had better feel for all his secondary pitches. That's what allowed him to get some results, and some really good defense behind him," Showalter said.

Read between the lines here. That's about as diplomatic as Buck can be to say that he still was awful. Gonzalez is a respected guy in the clubhouse so he can't say anything negative about him, but he basically said the results were only a combination of luck and the defense behind him. Any time the manager keeps talking about "results" in that way, that's because the process that got them to the results was bad.

Like I said in my other post, when the stuff is gone, it's gone. But you release him here to save that 4 mill. Otherwise you send him down or stash in the pen.

Im old and dont remember everything, but I thought Gonzo was somebody not suited to relief role, since it takes him awhile to limber and ready to pitch, something, you dont always have the luxury of doing with relievers.

Archived