Should Schoop be quietly shopped for a SP?

ADZ23

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His bat is "redundant"

LOL.

That's a good one.

Agreed. A bat is only redundant if we have more than one at the same position. We can't afford to score any less runs. We could use more runs actually to make up for how bad our pitching is likely to be.

I think he will be close to AS caliber at some point in his career if not this year.

But his bat is redundant in this lineup. His defense (and power?) can be somewhat replicated by Flaherty.

What say you.... :scratchchinhmm:

Put me in the camp that says nobody but nobody is untouchable. Now that doesn't mean trade Schoop for a 1 yr maybe if everything goes right he could be as good as Miggy kind of deal. But if you have depth like the Cardinals or Giants always seem to, and you want to trade a couple pitchers who are controllable with upside. Well, perhaps.

But to answer the original post. El Gordo. Totally. Nailed. It.

Shop him quietly? Seems like the O's can't do anything quietly these days.

Put me in the camp that says nobody but nobody is untouchable. Now that doesn't mean trade Schoop for a 1 yr maybe if everything goes right he could be as good as Miggy kind of deal. But if you have depth like the Cardinals or Giants always seem to, and you want to trade a couple pitchers who are controllable with upside. Well, perhaps.

But to answer the original post. El Gordo. Totally. Nailed. It.

Nobody is untouchable, but you better be damn sure you're making off like a bandit to trade a young, controlled talent who is still developing (yet had success at the ML level).

Wright and Wilson together would not bring back 20% of what Britton would. Britton is a bona fide trade chip of the highest order. Wright and Wilson, might be one day if they realize their potential. But today, they are spare parts of any trade.

But Britton contributes meaningfully to a team that hopes to contend. I don't see the logic in trading him now vs. guys who aren't on the 25. Yes, he has more trade value, but that's partially due to the fact that he is a nearly guaranteed contributor at the ML level. Now, at the trade deadline, if we're out of it, that's a different question. In that scenario, he could be a very smart trade candidate (along with Wieters, Trumbo and Alvarez, depending on their seasons).

Archived