Great win with so many positives; Day After reflections

Filmstudy

The fan had his back to the camera, so that part wasn't shown.

My take on this, that's an Oriole fan, and this is an Oriole play, get the heck out of the way and dont obstruct his ability to get the back back to the infield.

They should have learned back and given him all the room he needed to make that a clean play.

Again, IMO

Easier said than done. You're looking up at the ball and it is easy to not realize the positioning relative to the player and the field. Remember the Cub fan that was treated like the Anti-Christ in Chicago when he touched a ball in the playoffs vs. the Marlins that was clearly on the fan side of the wall? Whether it is the home team or visiting team, the rules as to whether or not it is fan interference are the same. On the playing field side of the wall, it is fan interference. On the fan side of the wall it is a foul ball.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Almost got it. The first hit was a double by Rosario. It was in on his fists and he inside-outed it down the line. Then Givens hit Park with a slider that got away from him and didn't break. Then Escobar crushed one off the wall, but with 1 out Rosario had to hold up and only made it to third.

Escobar's was the only hard hit, but Buck didn't take any chances and brought in Brach to get out of it with only the sac fly.

Yeah I was wet and freezing my butt off, my memory is probably compromised!

I am struck by how thin Chris Davis looked. He doesn't look deflated, just looks like he has trimmed away all body fat. He had trimmed down similarly at the end of last year.

I don't know how this will affect him for the season, but the difference was notable.

I am struck by how thin Chris Davis looked. He doesn't look deflated, just looks like he has trimmed away all body fat. He had trimmed down similarly at the end of last year.

I don't know how this will affect him for the season, but the difference was notable.

I think he gave it to Manny.

Not sure I can agree about Davis. His BB% the last three seasons:

2013 - 10.7%

2014 - 11.4%

2015 - 12.5%

Since becoming a full-timer, he's consistently shown a willingness to walk to get on base.

It's more that it was opening day and everyone's emotions are on high. Davis was in complete control. I guess you're right, but his strikeouts always seem to be at the worst times to the point that it overshadows the

walks in my mind. Thanks for pointing out his rising walk rate over the last three years to remind me. Now, if only the rest of the team can stay on board with this.

It's more that it was opening day and everyone's emotions are on high. Davis was in complete control. I guess you're right, but his strikeouts always seem to be at the worst times to the point that it overshadows the

walks in my mind. Thanks for pointing out his rising walk rate over the last three years to remind me. Now, if only the rest of the team can stay on board with this.

It does seem that his strikeouts come in bunches at times. Hard to say if that's a function of him just having a high K rate, higher expectations for the result of a Davis PA or true clumping.

Also, I think last year he did start at a higher K rate that declined as the season progressed, so maybe he wasn't walking as much to start 2015. Overall, the season totals have been good and increasing Y-o-y (as you noted).

On his 2-run double the fact that Jones failed to go to 3rd when Manny scored was pretty bad. From the angle behind 3rd base, it looked like he had easily advanced far enough, but turned towards the outfield as Manny came home.

He was stranded at 3rd 4 batters later after a single by Trumbo advance him just to 3rd.

Things I liked:

--Davis looks very confident with the strike zone and got a lot of close calls

--Rickard (everything)

--Tillman

--7 outstanding innings from the bullpen

--Not challenging the fan tip on the foul sac fly that tied the game (O's were better off taking the out).

--The Orioles power was on full display with perhaps 4 homers lost to weather (Hardy, Jones, Davis, Schoop)

--5 walks drawn, none allowed. During the 18 consecutive winning seasons (1968-85), the O's outwalked their opponents every single season and by an average of over 100 per year.

--Trumbo taking what the defense gave him on the at bat before Wieters

--Huge clutch hit by Wieters

Please let that continue.

I noticed the same thing.

Kim did get some boos coming down the carpet. What I really didn't understand is that some people even booed Park when he was announced beforehand. They do realize these guys aren't from North Korea, right? Or just guilt by association? Then again I also saw a good number of people leave the park by 3:30 when the first rain delay started (before a pitch was even thrown). I don't get it.

Not only did Davis make a great lay-out for that grounder to Hardy, he also made an excellent backhanded stop on a ball that Hardy short-hopped to him after catching a line drive, trying to double off the runner.

Jones had a few *really* bad swings, but he had the 2-run double, so all is forgiven.

Tillman was great, and Britton was lights out, as usual.

Who is Park? Is he Kim's interpreter?

I liked the fact that the O's won a game that was tied in the late innings. The O's struggled mightily to hit in late/close situations last year, and until Matt's hit in the 9th inning, the game was disturbingly reminiscent of those three awful losses to the Twins last August--take the lead, blow the lead, flail away at the Twins' bullpen without success and eventually lose.

Yeah he looked great. 2 ABs of over 8 pitches, both 3-2 counts. Almost knocked in a run on a liner that got caught.

Matt is a whipping boy. He's always been a favorite of mine though. I think its just all the early unrealistic expectations.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Archived