AL East: Position Comparisons: Outfield, DH and Bench

PressBoxOnline

Paul Folkemer ranks Adam Jones as the AL East's top center fielder, but where does Pedro Alvarez fall among the division's designated hitters?

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/04/06/al-east-position-comparisons-outfield-designated-hitter-and-bench

Paul,

Well wrote article, my only gripe, when you mentioned the Orioles and I agree with what you said, but you left out Flaherty, a darn good glove on the bench that can cover a variety of positions well. I think considering Flaherty, you can make a case at moving them up a notch.

The Birds have perhaps the best backup catcher in the division, Caleb Joseph, but their bench is saddled with outfielder Hyun Soo Kim, whom they didn't even want on the roster and don't have much use for.

I would argue that Kim remains at least partially an unknown. If he regains even half of the ability at the ML level that attracted the Orioles in the first place, the the Orioles' bench grade should rightfully go up.

Paul,

Well wrote article, my only gripe, when you mentioned the Orioles and I agree with what you said, but you left out Flaherty, a darn good glove on the bench that can cover a variety of positions well. I think considering Flaherty, you can make a case at moving them up a notch.

I don't think Flaherty is noticeably better than any other utility infielders in the division.

I would argue that Kim remains at least partially an unknown. If he regains even half of the ability at the ML level that attracted the Orioles in the first place, the the Orioles' bench grade should rightfully go up.

That's a big "if." The O's clearly don't think he's ready, and he's not going to get any better if he's buried at the end of the bench all year.

That's a big "if." The O's clearly don't think he's ready, and he's not going to get any better if he's buried at the end of the bench all year.

The most compelling narrative right now is that Kim isn't ready because the O's didn't provide him sufficient opportunity to get ready. Whether that's true or not is almost incidental IMO. I don't believe the Orioles will bury him at the end of the bench. I believe that they will quietly and systematically do what they can to keep him from becoming the elephant in the room that everybody wants to talk about except Orioles management, and that means finding him playing time at every sensible opportunity.

Whatever the case may ultimately turn out to be, I don't like how the Orioles handled this and as long as he has a spot on the 25-man, I'm rooting for him to succeed.

I don't think Flaherty is noticeably better than any other utility infielders in the division.

I guess we can agree to disagree then.

Usually the Utility Infielders can play multiple positions, but, not always plus defense at 1 or more locations.

I think he showed us in 2014, that an extended period of Flaherty filling in at 3rd for Manny, while not Manny, was not a detriment to the team.

Again, just my own opinion.

Archived