Felt like a classic Showalter-era Orioles win

Barnaby Graves

A dinger, some crafty well-timed hitting, some slightly precarious but successful bullpen work, and one of the roster's underdog players coming up big.

It's great to have baseball back, it's great to win, and it's the best when the team is winning like this. Playing tight games, getting tight wins. I felt, especially early on in his tenure, that Buck's influence seemed to reduce incidents of stupid baseball. When the team plays at a high, professional level, I generally attribute it to Buck. And basically I hope they keep playing like they do, taking walks, fielding solidly, and surely the power component will take care of itself due to the lineup. That's not just Buckball, that's Weaverball.

Good observations - accurate. One thing I will give Buck, besides a great personality for a skipper, is this. He seems to have a superb gut for pitching changes. I think the way he manages the bullpen could, by itself, shave some off the team ERA. I dunno. I just can't think of a ton of moves I considered weird - or that experts questioned, etc. That could be especially important this year.

Not very impressed with the Twins in these early games (not to take anything away from our wins).

Still, I believe we were 0-7 against the Twins last year so these are indeed two pickup wins versus last season.

Yep, I'll take 'em. The Twins pretty much put us out of business last year. I'd be happy to return the favor this year. I do think a better lineup might have hit Gallardo a lot harder.

A dinger, some crafty well-timed hitting, some slightly precarious but successful bullpen work, and one of the roster's underdog players coming up big.

It's great to have baseball back, it's great to win, and it's the best when the team is winning like this. Playing tight games, getting tight wins. I felt, especially early on in his tenure, that Buck's influence seemed to reduce incidents of stupid baseball. When the team plays at a high, professional level, I generally attribute it to Buck. And basically I hope they keep playing like they do, taking walks, fielding solidly, and surely the power component will take care of itself due to the lineup. That's not just Buckball, that's Weaverball.

Well said, and let's get back to winning on the road.

Yep, I'll take 'em. The Twins pretty much put us out of business last year. I'd be happy to return the favor this year. I do think a better lineup might have hit Gallardo a lot harder.

If we had just gone 3-4 vs. MIN in 2015, we would have finished 84-78 and stayed in the playoff hunt longer. Our 1-6 against KC didn't help either.

Good observations - accurate. One thing I will give Buck, besides a great personality for a skipper, is this. He seems to have a superb gut for pitching changes. I think the way he manages the bullpen could, by itself, shave some off the team ERA. I dunno. I just can't think of a ton of moves I considered weird - or that experts questioned, etc. That could be especially important this year.

I have been a Orioles fan since attending my first game at Memorial Stadium as an 8 year old in 1963. IMO Buck along with Earl are by far the best Os managers of all time in managing the pen and changing pitchers. Phil Reagan and Hargrove were the worst, Phil seemed clueless and Hargrove just made mindless matchup changes mostly lefty righty as if on auto pilot! Both were just terrible to watch!!

I don't think there was anything difficult that BS did last night. Yes, it was typical Buck last night. He likes to win series and his use of the bullpen help assure the W and the series. I am not crazy about the bullets he has left in the pen today. I am not crazy about UJ following Gallardo. This early and in cold weather they will be fortunate to get 5 out of UJ, that means McFarland, Worley, Bundy and who closes? ZB threw a lot of pitches last night and despite 2k's, he was all over the place. Yes, it was classic Buck, win the series, set up for the next.

I don't think there was anything difficult that BS did last night. Yes, it was typical Buck last night. He likes to win series and his use of the bullpen help assure the W and the series. I am not crazy about the bullets he has left in the pen today. I am not crazy about UJ following Gallardo. This early and in cold weather they will be fortunate to get 5 out of UJ, that means McFarland, Worley, Bundy and who closes? ZB threw a lot of pitches last night and despite 2k's, he was all over the place. Yes, it was classic Buck, win the series, set up for the next.

We had some chances to get some insurance runs last night to save the pen, or at least Britton. Schoop didn't score from 2nd with two outs, and Machado popped up a 3-0 pitch with Rickard on and only 1 out.

Archived