DD, Eating Crow

Bahama O's Fan

I was critical of the Trumbo signing but so far he looks to be a better player than I imagined. Long way to go though obviously. And while it's been decent pitching so far I still don't like this rotation.

I think Trumbo goes a long way to replacing the missing Cruz bat last season.

Throw Pedro into the lineup and dang, this team rocks! :)

Rickard doesn't have to be MVP to outplay last year's production.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's early. And tomorrow starts a new week.

In aggregate:

Hitters: .295/.353/.420

Pitchers: 2.72 ERA; 11.59 K:9; 17:6 k:bb

These are the guys that DD brought in or brought back (non-arb guys Wieters, O'Day, Davis).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was critical of the Trumbo signing but so far he looks to be a better player than I imagined. Long way to go though obviously. And while it's been decent pitching so far I still don't like this rotation.

He's been quite the find. And fine in the field.

Trumbo looks promising as well.

Also, who would have thought Pedro Alvarez would have 3 walks before a hit?

4 K's, sure.

I realized this while watching Trumbo against the Twins, and these posts reminded me of the fact that my mind's conception of Trumbo has been at odds with what I'm now seeing, and I think I know the reasons why. He's a big guy, with good power. There has been concern about his fielding away from IB. Probably most important, his name rhymes with "Jumbo" and "Dumbo," and he seems always to be referred to as Trumbo, never as Mark or by a nickname. Not having paid much attention to him, other than seeing him as a medium-dangerous threat when he's batted against the O's, and not having seen many ST games, I have tended to think of him as bulkier, more one-dimensional, and less nimble and athletic than he has looked in the first five games. Anyway, he's no Jumbo Brown, the 300-pound Cub reliever reputed to be the largest major leaguer until the late, and quite jumbo, Walter Young.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe not. In any event, for a while I'll try to think of him as Mark. (I would use his initials, MT, but that's no help at all.)

A great start to the season. Silly to draw too many conclusions but I'm very encouraged by Schoop's AB's in particular, not to mention Manny looking as good as ever.

True,

But, it was silly for some posters to be so inflamed over DD this off season, they acted like its been 18 years of losing baseball here.

One good pickup (Rickard) doesn't excuse the fact that the construction of the starting rotation was completely butchered by Duquette coming into this year. If just one of the top four starters has a bad year or suffers an injury that causes them to miss significant time, the rotation will be screwed beyond belief. There's literally no room for error with Gallardo, Gausman, Tillman and Jimenez. All of them have to be productive and all of them have to stay healthy. Not adding another starting pitcher along with Gallardo was beyond idiotic and a terrible error in judgment.

Doing what they've done without 2/5 of the projected starting rotation (Gaus, Gonzales) so far has to be encouraging. If the starters prove collectively better than so many assumed, or are just good enough with our hitting & defense, DD will be spoon-feeding crow to a lot of folks. (SSS, of course, but it's the only size we have.)

I disagree, probably because I was one of his critics this past winter. Almost everyone acknowledges that he had a bad year the previous off season. Most of his moves didn't work out. His state of the union after the 2015 season was to improve the starting pitching and he did not. He made a lot of "now" moves which I thought were a mistake based on last season. I'm real happy about the first six games and hope it continues and if we have a good season, I'll happily admit to being wrong.

Still, it's way to early to pass judgment one way or the other. This is a message board. It's for opinions. I don't think any opinion is silly if you can back it up with well reasoned logic.

Not to mention the problem some of us had was with how the team is positioned long term.

Archived