Machado Underrated?

Todd-O

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the old saying? Don't go shopping when you're hungry. To sign him now, you gotta pay a record amount. The O's control him the rest of this season and 2 more seasons. A lot can happen in that time.

If by that you mean that his price could continue to go up....I agree.

Manny is not the type of player you sit around on waiting for the price to drop.

I think it's pretty obvious we won't be extending him during the season though unfortunately. I think our last shot is likely this coming off-season.

If by that you mean that his price could continue to go up....I agree.

Manny is not the type of player you sit around on waiting for the price to drop.

I think it's pretty obvious we won't be extending him during the season though unfortunately. I think our last shot is likely this coming off-season.

I think he has already played himself out of the O's price range.

That and you have to think he's going to demand an opt out.

You guys are as about as pessimistic as can be. All the moaning about the Orioles never being able to sign Chris Davis, and what happened? There is absolutely no reason to think the Orioles wont sign Manny and keep him a lifelong Oriole.

You guys are as about as pessimistic as can be. All the moaning about the Orioles never being able to sign Chris Davis, and what happened? There is absolutely no reason to think the Orioles wont sign Manny and keep him a lifelong Oriole.

The reason to be pessimistic is that, at his age, it makes no sense to sign a contract without an opt-out. We could sign Davis because he didn't need one, he's already on the wrong side of 30. Manny is going to want one to get a second crack at free agency, unless we're giving him a 10+ year contract that goes into his decline years (which we might do). We're going to have to pay a ton to get on a non-opt-out deal.

The step from Davis to Manny is projected to be significantly larger than the step from Jones to Davis.

There is no good news or optimism. There is only worry.

The reason to be pessimistic is that, at his age, it makes no sense to sign a contract without an opt-out. We could sign Davis because he didn't need one, he's already on the wrong side of 30. Manny is going to want one to get a second crack at free agency, unless we're giving him a 10+ year contract that goes into his decline years (which we might do). We're going to have to pay a ton to get on a non-opt-out deal.

Also, the Orioles bid against themselves to sign Davis. He could have been had for less and it's not like anyone was knocking down the door to sign him. I can't see PA shelling out $300M for anyone, but who knows? If we

did, where's the money going to come from for pitching? How much will Manny's contract handcuff us financially and is that handcuffing worth it?

If we signed Manny to that kind of deal and traded Jones and Britton for prospects, that might work if Rickard continues doing well. We have to inject some new life into our farm system somehow. We need pitching, at

least one outfielder and either a SS or 3B.

Archived