Machado Underrated?

Todd-O

From that perspective you can blame FA as well for allowing players to sign for so much money.

There are many things on the business side of the sport that I think is ruining baseball. These contracts are ridiculous. Where does it end? One billion dollar contracts? One hundred mil a year? It's ridiculous. It's a player

first / team second system. The system is a runaway train. Something will have to give eventually.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are many things on the business side of the sport that I think is ruining baseball. These contracts are ridiculous. Where does it end? One billion dollar contracts? One hundred mil a year? It's ridiculous. It's a player

first / team second system. The system is a runaway train. Something will have to give eventually.

Well the thing is there is so much revenue. I mean we could always give the owners more of the money, but they make the players look like hobos. In my personal opinion more money should be going to the minor league players.

The TV contract bubble will pop.

Of course MBLAM might be fully up an churning obscene profits by then.

I am fully confident that no team will offer a player a contract they can not afford.

Every penny that doesn't go to the players will stay with the owners.

I think if you look at the team revenue you could argue that the players are actually underpaid.

Well the thing is there is so much revenue. I mean we could always give the owners more of the money, but they make the players look like hobos. In my personal opinion more money should be going to the minor league players.

Or they could give back to the fans more. But yes I agree.

Coming into this season I have seen a number of articles on the prominent sports websites and they all do these young stars pieces. Something I noticed was that Machado was either not mentioned at all, or was the smallest blurb, essentially nothing. I was reminded of it today when I came across this ESPN post http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14946288/better-faster-younger-mlb-best-stars-20-years. Yea I get that Harper is awesome (and a jerk), but Manny really can't get mentioned amongst the Mookie Betts of the world? Maybe it's because he blew his knees out and missed time, but I don't think were all biased in our acknowledgment of Manny being a legit star.

I guess my question for you guys is: Why is Manny an afterthought when it comes to up and coming superstars?

I can agree with that. There is a lot of revenue, but are we going to go back down the road of having to buy championships like the Yankees used to do? The wealthy teams get all the best players and scraps fall to

everyone else? I don't know, I would much rather see a more even playing field across the league. The NFL does alright with a salary cap, but the MLBPA wouldn't allow that without a fight. I just think there's too much

emphasis on money in baseball, but I guess that could be said for just about anything these days.

I can agree with that. There is a lot of revenue, but are we going to go back down the road of having to buy championships like the Yankees used to do? The wealthy teams get all the best players and scraps fall to

everyone else? I don't know, I would much rather see a more even playing field across the league. The NFL does alright with a salary cap, but the MLBPA wouldn't allow that without a fight. I just think there's too much

emphasis on money in baseball, but I guess that could be said for just about anything these days.

The MLB basically allows to have control of a guy for 7 years. For most players that means they don't reach free agency until their 30s from which point a decline is likely to be imminent. It would be huge problem if players were as good in year 13 as they are year 5, but they aren't.

Archived